Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 8, 2014, 8:43 AM   #1

Default Checking a new camera after unboxing ?

Hi all.
I have a brand new Oly m43 camera body waiting for me at home, and want to know what checks the more experienced guys do with a new camera body to make sure it is as should be.
The reason I ask is that my previous camera had a problem that I didn't realize was a fault for a few years, too late for warrantee. I want to try avoid that this time.

Thanks
Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2014, 9:20 AM   #2

What was the fault in the old camera? I do not typically look for problems. I just start using it. The process of setting up all the defaults should take you through all the menu options. Then start trying the camera out by using all the options you would normally use. I've never once tried auto, video or any of the scene modes on my E-M1 as I'll never use those.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 10:56 AM   #3

I just pull'em outta the box insert battery and start shooting, it I get pictures then it is electro/mechanically working.

Apply any FW upgrades then what Greg said above..... good luck, have fun & show us some results.

Which camere did you buy?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 8:15 AM   #4

A one year warranty should give you plenty of time to find any bugs if they do exist.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
What was the fault in the old camera? I do not typically look for problems. I just start using it. The process of setting up all the defaults should take you through all the menu options. Then start trying the camera out by using all the options you would normally use. I've never once tried auto, video or any of the scene modes on my E-M1 as I'll never use those.
The old camera has reddish noise bands across the images on long exposures. I thought it was a 'feature' but now think it was perhaps a poor sensor. I'll be checking this one for that at least.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I just pull'em outta the box insert battery and start shooting, it I get pictures then it is electro/mechanically working.

Apply any FW upgrades then what Greg said above..... good luck, have fun & show us some results.

Which camere did you buy?
Fair enough.
I thought there might be some special ways to check you've got a good sensor in the unit. I'm probably just looking for solutions to problems that don't exist though

I bought the OM-D E-M1, a bit earlier than planned, as there is a $300 cash rebate on here currently

I'm hoping it will be as good as I hear.

Regards,
Martin
Old May 10, 2014, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm hoping it will be as good as I hear
Martin,

I do have an E-M1 and I believe you will find it '....as good as you hear', have fun with it and share with us some results.

Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old May 11, 2014, 1:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Martin,

I do have an E-M1 and I believe you will find it '....as good as you hear', have fun with it and share with us some results.

Bob
Hope so, and yes I will share more images for sure.
I have no qualms about trying out the scene modes and other factory bottled utility modes. The one that I'm most curious about is the image stacking mode. That might get some interesting Nightscapes.

BTW, did you check the hidden frame count reading when you got it. Seems there units get anywhere from 10-150 factory test frames. That's one thing I'm curious to do.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:19 AM   #9

Quote:
BTW, did you check the hidden frame count reading when you got it.
.....nope, wasn't concerned about checking it.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old May 24, 2014, 6:36 AM   #10

113 actuations, 1 flash firing on mine (brand new). Sounds like they may do some thorough factory tests or calibration, which is great if so.

Body firmware is 1.0

Martin

PS. Impressed so far with the feel, using just a body cap lens so far, till the 43/m43 converter arrives.

Last edited by mr.sneezy; May 24, 2014 at 6:43 AM.