Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 18, 2014, 9:45 AM   #1

Default My Daughter in her "Office"

Too many switches and buttons for me....

Captured with the E-M1 and Panasonic 7-14, I opened the jpeg from Adobe Camera raw and ran it through DXO's Viewpoint plugin to remove as much of the ultra wide distortion as possible and not loose too much of the scene.

The massive C5..

One of the wings and huge turbine engines..

and from the rear..

This is the KC10 she flies..

and underneath..

From the back, looking up at the boom..

Inside a C17. Wouldn't you just love having to figure out all of these wires?

It even has a moon roof. No sure I'd want to do this in the air though..

Speaking of massive, a B52. Here I used the DXO Viewpoint plugin again to minimize the distortion.

The bomb bay of the B52..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2014, 9:58 AM   #2

Default Also visited Valley Forge one day

Lots to see and it's beautiful this time of the year. One of the officer's quarters..

Wildflowers and Dogwood abound right now..

One of the monuments. Note the Washington Memorial Chapel in the background..

The complete monument..

Inside the chapel..

There are also some neat plaques around the church to see..

A couple of unknown Continental Army soldier's graves..

Any doubts Washington was a Free Mason?

Old May 18, 2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Greg. Those are some of the best photo's I've seen. The pictures's of your Daughter's office (both interior and exterior) gave me goose bumps. I've not seen a better use of the 7-14. You've mastered it.

Last edited by chiPersei; May 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Spelling as usual
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 11:58 AM   #4

.....this is what Alan said "Greg. Those are some of the best photo's I've seen. The pictures's of your Daughter's office (both interior and exterior) gave me goose bumps. I've not seen a better use of the 7-14. You've mastered it."

ME TOO !!!!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks for that impressive group of pictures. The scale of those planes is great.

Also, I had never seen photographs of the chapel at Valley Forge (or been there, for that matter). Beautiful work.
MacBook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 2:09 PM   #6

Excellent pics and lens. No problem flying that Greg, you don't use most of the buttons anyway, just there for looks, just step on the gas and steer. Which one does you daughter fly, the KC10 or the monster cargo plane?
Old May 18, 2014, 4:29 PM   #7

Thanks, James. Maybe I could fly that

The KC10A.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:37 PM   #8

ditto what everyone else has said this series is excellent!

The 7-14 really does the job showing the cockpit and giving a sense of space and size. Same with the B-52 shot, really would say you nailed it.

The valley forge series is great too, I really like the unknown soldiers and the canons, very well composed.

Thank you for sharing, I'm thankful for your daughter's service, and I'm sure you're proud of your her, as you should be.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:59 PM   #9

Wow, what a beautiful set of pictures Greg, I really enjoyed the series.

The picture of your daughter in her office is amazing, you should be so proud of her..!!

You did a great job handling the highlights and shadows on your pictures,how do you compare the dynamic range of the OMD-5 with the OMD-1??

Any doubts Washington was a Free Mason?

[/QUOTE]

No doubts, the entire city was built under cabalistic principles.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 11:47 PM   #10

Hi Marcelo. Yes, very proud of her indeed.

As far as comparing the E-M1 and E-M5 I would say they are close enough to probably be equals in terms of achievable dynamic range from a raw file. I don't do any jpeg shooting but in reviewing as I am shooting, where the in-camera selections are applied to the previews, it does seem that the E-M5 is set up to produce a more sharpened, contrasty image. The E-M1 previews seem, not flat, but just less processed in comparison and I've seen comments from users moving from the E-M5 and calling files from the E-M1 "softer". I would imagine some testing and adjusting of in-camera parameters would quickly bring the E-M1 jpegs in alignment with the E-M5 "look". The E-M5 and Panasonic GX7 both have a more aggressive set of default in-camera jpeg parameters.

One of the trickier shots was that image on her in the KC10 cockpit. I didn't have a flash and did not want to totally blow the outside to white at the expense of the inside image, so I manually set the exposure to the point I had gone off both ends of the histogram, but I did not over, or underexpose the point I had red showing on the histogram in the blown areas. Both ends were showing green, meaning I had at least one of the three channels that were clipped, but not all three color channels. When I showed the preview to Kelsey the inside cockpit area was pretty dark, but I told her I should be able to raise the shadows and lower the highlights in Photoshop to a point we had a good image.