Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 18, 2014, 5:32 PM   #1

Default Great Crested FlyCatcher

Was having lunch outside and saw this bird alight first on one of my garden trellis poles then over to the peach tree. Taken with the E-PL2, 70-300mm shutter priority hand held 1/500 mostly @ 300mm.

Great Crested FlyCatcher by ramcewan, on Flickr

As I got closer instead of taking off it made for an area of bark mulch around a nearby hemlock, continuing it's whee-eep call.

It sat there and let me get fairly close.

so close I had to back off from 300mm with this one @226mm

Finally it decided I wasn't fooled by it's attempt to hide and hopped up, called out again and took a few steps and fluttered up into a sapling.

Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2014, 6:48 PM   #2

Great! I like these photos a lot; garden/song birds are not among my photography subjects, seeing this little bird is a treat.

Thanks, Bob.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 7:59 PM   #3

What a wonderful series. The detail is striking.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 8:31 PM   #4

Bob and MacBook,

Thank you for checking them out. I really enjoyed taking them and then learning a bit more about this bird as a result. I was also lucky to be able to get so close and have such bright light to bring out the details.

The great crested flycatcher is a migratory bird, summering and breeding from the Rockies east into southern Canada. They over-winter in south and central America. Maybe that is why it was laying down, that's a long trip to make!

We've had a few flycatchers before and they tend to be a bit less afraid of people, one year I had one that kept coming over to my later as I was painting some trim on my shed. They're also pretty cool to watch as like bats they catch their meals on the wing.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:02 PM   #5

Very nice pictures, the sharpness is great.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 9:54 AM   #6

Those are very nice and with lots of detail and makes me want to pick up a 70-300 which is a bit more affordable than the 50-200mm. Now think how much better those shots would be with the M1.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:30 AM   #7

VERY nice shots
as per Marcelo " The sharpness is Great "
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 1:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
VERY nice shots
I agree.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 8:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Very nice pictures, the sharpness is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
VERY nice shots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I agree.

Thanks Marcelo, Fred and Steven. Rarely do I get such perfect conditions; bright light and a relatively stationary subject.

Reviewing the EXIF I noticed I actually should have turned the shutter speed up as the aperture was maxed at f20 and the ISO was maxed at 1250 In the moment capturing what was happening I wasn't paying attention to exposure setting, 1/500 shutter priority is the way I usually leave the camera just in case I see some wildlife. I'm not used to using this lens in bright light so this will be a wake up call to mind the info on the screen a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Those are very nice and with lots of detail and makes me want to pick up a 70-300 which is a bit more affordable than the 50-200mm. Now think how much better those shots would be with the M1.
This is probably one situation where the M1 might not make that much difference in the overall image, because there was so much light to work with. It might have made a difference in AF, though I've grown pretty adept at using the smallest focus target box. Where the M1 will make more difference, I hope, is when I'm shooting with less light and cropping more. In those situations the lower ISO noise will allow me to push beyond the 1250 cap I have the auto ISO set at on the E-PL2. Also having 33% more pixels should provide some additional details when cropping. Add in the 5-axis IBIS and hopefully there will be noticeable improvement in a set like the barred owl I recently posted.

Regarding the 50-200... After much thought I think the extra reach to 300 will keep me from investing there. I'm going to be interested to see what Olympus comes out with when they release the pro 300mm f4.0 that's in development. If it is priced like the 12-40 it may quickly go to the top of my list. From what I see the 300mm f2.8 is able to produce stunning images on the M1, but at $6500 new and rarely available used at price that's still higher than the worth of my car, I'm pretty sure I'll never own one. If Olympus can shrink it down and make it less expensive at the cost of f4.0 being the max aperture it will make a big difference for wildlife enthusiast like myself. I can also imagine situations where people are back packing where the ability to carry an M1 and a GH4 with a 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 for significant weight savings in weight and size over a full frame and equivalent lenses.

Last edited by ramcewan; May 20, 2014 at 8:17 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 10:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Thanks Marcelo, Fred and Steven. Rarely do I get such perfect conditions; bright light and a relatively stationary subject.

Reviewing the EXIF I noticed I actually should have turned the shutter speed up as the aperture was maxed at f20 and the ISO was maxed at 1250 In the moment capturing what was happening I wasn't paying attention to exposure setting, 1/500 shutter priority is the way I usually leave the camera just in case I see some wildlife. I'm not used to using this lens in bright light so this will be a wake up call to mind the info on the screen a bit more.

This is probably one situation where the M1 might not make that much difference in the overall image, because there was so much light to work with. It might have made a difference in AF, though I've grown pretty adept at using the smallest focus target box. Where the M1 will make more difference, I hope, is when I'm shooting with less light and cropping more. In those situations the lower ISO noise will allow me to push beyond the 1250 cap I have the auto ISO set at on the E-PL2. Also having 33% more pixels should provide some additional details when cropping. Add in the 5-axis IBIS and hopefully there will be noticeable improvement in a set like the barred owl I recently posted.

Regarding the 50-200... After much thought I think the extra reach to 300 will keep me from investing there. I'm going to be interested to see what Olympus comes out with when they release the pro 300mm f4.0 that's in development. If it is priced like the 12-40 it may quickly go to the top of my list. From what I see the 300mm f2.8 is able to produce stunning images on the M1, but at $6500 new and rarely available used at price that's still higher than the worth of my car, I'm pretty sure I'll never own one. If Olympus can shrink it down and make it less expensive at the cost of f4.0 being the max aperture it will make a big difference for wildlife enthusiast like myself. I can also imagine situations where people are back packing where the ability to carry an M1 and a GH4 with a 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 for significant weight savings in weight and size over a full frame and equivalent lenses.
I agree with you Ramce. To lay out that kind of money for a lens you better be making some money with it.