Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 20, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1

Default Some images from Gettysburg

Probably have 90%+ of the images I am going to upload completed..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Travel...burg-National/

I have to go back. The 1,400+ monuments are astounding. Seemingly every unit that served is commemorated, with blocks of pointers even showing the right and left flanks on the field, making it easy to imagine the battle lines over the three days, which often ran over one another.

90-95% captured with the 12-40mm f2.8, a few with the 35-100 f2.8 Panasonic and a couple with the Panasonic 7-14mm f4. All with the E-M1.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 21, 2014 at 7:39 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2014, 12:39 AM   #2

That must be an incredibly moving place to visit.
Thanks for sharing these images Greg.
Mike
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 8:07 AM   #3

Glad to hear you had a good trip, Greg. I didn't realize you were going so soon!
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 8:24 AM   #4

Excellent images. I'll be heading there in July for the 151st reenactment.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 8:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Excellent images. I'll be heading there in July for the 151st reenactment.
Be prepared for a madhouse! My brother worked at Gettysburg for probably ten years and it was always nuts during that time, he'll actually avoid the July 4th weekend when he's going back to visit in-laws.

That said, I'm probably a bit jaded--so if you're making your once-in-a-lifetime type trip, it'll probably be the time to go.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 9:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Be prepared for a madhouse! My brother worked at Gettysburg for probably ten years and it was always nuts during that time, he'll actually avoid the July 4th weekend when he's going back to visit in-laws.

That said, I'm probably a bit jaded--so if you're making your once-in-a-lifetime type trip, it'll probably be the time to go.
I was there last year for the 150th. I thought it was very well-organized. Especially, considering the massive number of reenactors and spectators. Having a press pass helped a LOT! I'm sort of used to that sort of thing having lived in Reno with the tourists and now Louisville during the Kentucky Derby.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; May 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:35 AM   #7

Greg, your beautiful photos indeed tell a story and I tried to imagine what those battles must have been like with so much hand to hand combat and using the antiquated weapons by today's standards. Years ago we visited George Washington's home in Mt Vernon. I hated to leave that place because it was so historical. And the view they had on their back porch overlooking the Potomac River was beautiful. I took plenty of photos but back then film was used. I still have them someplace and if I ever get some time I'd like to buy a slide scanner and digitize many of the photos I took back then. Most of the photos I took with film were Kodachrome.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Greg, your beautiful photos indeed tell a story and I tried to imagine what those battles must have been like with so much hand to hand combat and using the antiquated weapons by today's standards. Years ago we visited George Washington's home in Mt Vernon. I hated to leave that place because it was so historical. And the view they had on their back porch overlooking the Potomac River was beautiful. I took plenty of photos but back then film was used. I still have them someplace and if I ever get some time I'd like to buy a slide scanner and digitize many of the photos I took back then. Most of the photos I took with film were Kodachrome.
Here's something to feed into your imagination, James. I shot these at last year's 150th reenactment. Bear in mind, that for every person you see on the field in these images, there were TEN. The entire album is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjtoth...7636526188426/ Greg, I don't mean to hijack your thread here. I believe these put a little meaning to the monuments you captured with such artistry.

View from the Union left "before the ball opened" -- Pickett's Charge.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; May 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:54 PM   #9

Beautiful set Greg, 2 and 5 are my favorites.

Love the rich colors and sharpness of your pictures.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 8:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Glad to hear you had a good trip, Greg. I didn't realize you were going so soon!
Yep! Thank you very much for your pointers and the hotel suggestion. Worked out very well. What a great location to be based.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote