Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 22, 2014, 10:31 AM   #11

The 1.4 firmware just available for the E-M1 is a good one for four-thirds lens users. I tried my 50mm f2 last night and it works as well as I remember is focusing on the E5 DSLR. The 50mm f2 was always a slow auto-focusing lens on every DSLR until the E5 handled it very well. The E-M1 now does too. I also noted better performance with the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 non-SWD.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I figured they'd be doing this, and I've been considering shagging an EM-10 when the sale happened. They excluded the EM10 from the sale. Oh well.

Edit--shagging? I meant "snagging," hahah.

Anyhow, congrats!
lol yeah I love my equipment but I'm not sure I'd be shagging it...

I noticed that although the E-M10 has been in the refurbished store for $539 they pulled it when they announced the 20% off sale.

I was starting to do the math that said I can buy two E-M10's for the price of one E-M1 figuring it might make sense to buy the E-M10 and then buy it's replacement in a few years when they add PDAF on chip... but luckily for me and my indecisiveness the choice was already made and I went E-M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The 1.4 firmware just available for the E-M1 is a good one for four-thirds lens users. I tried my 50mm f2 last night and it works as well as I remember is focusing on the E5 DSLR. The 50mm f2 was always a slow auto-focusing lens on every DSLR until the E5 handled it very well. The E-M1 now does too. I also noted better performance with the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 non-SWD.
Good to hear - I will be updating when it arrives. I am sure I will get a boost in performance on my lenses over what the E-PL2 does with them even though they are all CDAF compatible.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:04 PM   #13

....there are a couple updates for the M-1, the current is to better AF & C-AF for the 4/3 lenses.

I've not updated yet, Greg C has... The reports on DPReview are that the improvement is noticeable.

Why do I not read the thread before posting..... Oh well! (lol)

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 22, 2014 at 11:30 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 9:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Good to hear - I will be updating when it arrives. I am sure I will get a boost in performance on my lenses over what the E-PL2 does with them even though they are all CDAF compatible.
Oh, it'll be like night and day compared to how they work on the E-PL2. Last night I pulled out my four-thirds 70-300mm f4-5.6, which is not that much significantly bigger than the Micro 75-300 and the 50mm f2 Zuiko and the AF action on both was quite excellent. AF was already very good with the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 and is even better now. Easily as good as it ever was on the E520/E620/E30 and not all that far off the E5.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 9:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Easily as good as it ever was on the E520/E620/E30 and not all that far off the E5.

..........or the E-3!

....it is Friday am, I just now updated my E-M1 to 1.4. The 14-54 vI was attached to the camera; when the update was done I checked the 14-54 ... SUPER QUICK AF!

Then my most favorite 70-300 and as Greg said..... very VERY good AF.

I'm stoked and ready for 'the BUG world that will be this summer'.

Olympus have delivered and I will bet there is more to come for the E-M1, it'sgettin'there.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 9:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
The 14-54 vI was attached to the camera; when the update was done I checked the 14-54 ... SUPER QUICK AF!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Oh, it'll be like night and day compared to how they work on the E-PL2. Last night I pulled out my four-thirds 70-300mm f4-5.6, which is not that much significantly bigger than the Micro 75-300 and the 50mm f2 Zuiko and the AF action on both was quite excellent.
Well I am super excited to have both my 14-54 and 70-300 focusing faster

I can't wait and looks like it will arrive today.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:32 AM   #17

Quote:
lol yeah I love my equipment but I'm not sure I'd be shagging it...

I noticed that although the E-M10 has been in the refurbished store for $539 they pulled it when they announced the 20% off sale.

I was starting to do the math that said I can buy two E-M10's for the price of one E-M1 figuring it might make sense to buy the E-M10 and then buy it's replacement in a few years when they add PDAF on chip... but luckily for me and my indecisiveness the choice was already made and I went E-M1

Ha, good for you.

I'm starting to swing around to the idea that an EM10 might be a better bet than the 5. Did I mention that I'm indecisive?

Anyhow, not even the weekend yet and this sale is on the verge of being a big played out. Not much left.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 9:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Ha, good for you.

I'm starting to swing around to the idea that an EM10 might be a better bet than the 5. Did I mention that I'm indecisive?

Anyhow, not even the weekend yet and this sale is on the verge of being a big played out. Not much left.
I arrived at the conclusion that I would buy the EM10 over an EM5 given the slightly lower price and the addition of WiFi control, the newer image processor and it has ambient light adjusting EVF which is said to make it superior to the EM5 even though it is the same resolution. Overall it just tics enough boxes to put it ahead in my assessment even w/o weather sealing and not as good IBIS.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Well I am super excited to have both my 14-54 and 70-300 focusing faster

I can't wait and looks like it will arrive today.
I'll bet your sitting on your porch waiting for delivery.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:13 PM   #20

The m1 arrived and I am going through the manual PDF... So much to learn. I did give it a quick go with the 14-54 and the AF speed is night and day difference compared to the epl2. Also the sequential burst is super fast and the shutter is quieter.

It will be a few days before I really get to break it in but so far it feels 3-4 generations ahead of the epl2