Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 25, 2014, 8:22 AM   #1

Default Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro shots

Trying out the 60mm and 35mm macros this morning. These are 60mm except for the 2nd shot in each of the two similar shots, that is #5 and #8 are from the 35mm.

MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2014, 9:03 AM   #2

I really like your subject choices, the compositions and color.

I only use manual exposure and I notice in these that for either lens the ones done with manual exposure appear to be the better sharpness & color compared to the ones done with AUTO exposure.

Shooting tiny flowers and little bugs is a lot of fun, MACRO with whatever lens is great photo exercise. I don't have the m43 60mm but it surely is a great lens, I know I would enjoy using it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 11:43 AM   #3

It is, an excellent lens. My main issue carrying it all that often is, it's short enough you have to be able to get physically close in order to get a closeup like that. Places where I shoot, the subjects are often in beds where I need longer telephoto access to do the closeups I do, and I prefer higher levels of compression you only get using a longer focal length.

The other thing muddying the waters, with the E-M1 handling the four-thirds lenses so well now, I'm awfully tempted to use the crazy sharp 50mm f2 Macro Zuiko for the times when the subject is close enough and have the extra stop of speed.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 8:56 PM   #4

Macbook,

These are very nice. I have to say I prefer the 60mm shots in both of the cases where you provided a shot with the 35mm of the same subject, it just seems to be more crisp. Especially shot 4 as compared to 5, I think 5 almost looks a little blown out in the highlights.

Overall great shots though, thanks for sharing.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Bob, your recent 35mm series inspired me to pull out the 35mm (and I added some shots to your series yesterday, too). Then I got out the reconditioned 60mm that I bought a couple of months ago through Olympus. They are both really sharp.

Greg, fortunately, these flowers weren't even dancing in the wind yesterday morning, it was quite still. I can see in other circumstances longer lenses being valuable.

ramcewan, this was not scientific at all. The differences could have been partly due to post-processing and partly due to better and worse technique with either lens. It may also be that I was further away with the 60mm and able to brace myself better when shooting.

What fun!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 2:22 PM   #6

Nicely done!