Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 26, 2014, 9:10 PM   #1

Default Day off + Rainy Weather = Trip to the Arboretum

Rarely do all elements coincide, but they did today, and the wet/threat of wet weather keeps all the fair-weather people away, so it was a great day to go, and the cloudy skies make for great picture-taking with the E-M1 and 12-40 or Panasonic 35-100 and 7-14 lenses.

Water subjects were rather reflective today, so I did use a Tiffen High Transmission (expensive) circular polarizer to eliminate reflections.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2014, 11:28 AM   #2

Beautiful set of pictures Greg, the sharpness and color are outstanding.

What is the name of the blue flowers (picture #2), I had the same in my garden, so many people ask of it and I have no idea...
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 11:51 AM   #3

Good job Greg. Pretty shots with nice subdued color. Now, if we could just cure your fear of nice bright sunshine and vivid colors! I'm sure there must be a support group for that somewhere there in Texas!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
What is the name of the blue flowers (picture #2), I had the same in my garden, so many people ask of it and I have no idea...
Those are one of the varieties of Hydrangeas, Marcelo. The color of the blossoms varies depending on the soil conditions at time of blooming.
Here is an interesting link. http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/

Here is a shot of one of my hydrangea blossoms showing different colors on the same plant.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 1:35 PM   #4

You got it on the hydrangeas. They are just starting to bloom. Once the beds are fully out we'll have an assortment of colors, until the heat finally kills them off.

Sunshine is nice, too , especially now that we have cameras with sensors that allow for shadows to be pulled up as much as is possible with little noise issues. With any Olympus DSLR from the E1 through the E5, or even as recently as the E-P3 Pen, processing images with deep shadows was a different story. Today it's easy, just expose for highlights like you used to with slide film, and pull up the shadows in processing.

I was surprised to see as many Water Lilies in bloom as there already were yesterday, and in all colors.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:21 PM   #5

Curious as to what is going on with photo 7. Looks like a light fog by the bench stretching to the left. Love the pics.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:45 PM   #6

What you think you are seeing is exactly right. There's a creek of water flowing along that treeline with a lot of tropical-type vegitation and they have misters that turn on periodically. If I had taken the shot a minute or two earlier the mist would have been much heavier. It was just falling off when I snapped that image.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:48 AM   #7

Very nice set of photos. You have got my interest in the circular polarizer and am just deciding which size to get, probably a 62mm for the Olympus 12-40. It seems every lens I have needs a different filter size.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014, 6:57 AM   #8

58mm is a popular size. The 75-300, 75mm f1.8, both of the f2.8 Panasonic zooms, 12-35 and 35-100 all use that size. Cannot remember if the 40-150 uses that size or not. I have both a 62mm for the 12-40 and 58mm for the others.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:31 PM   #9

I probably will go for the 62mm initially, so that I can use it on the 12-40.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
I probably will go for the 62mm initially, so that I can use it on the 12-40.
Interestingly, yesterday I ordered a B+W 62mm XS-Pro Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating from Amazon. $121.89. I saw it for 10 bucks less but wasn't familiar with the seller.

Some weeks back I bought a cheap ($20) big stopper and a similarly priced CPL. I'm pleasantly surprised with the cheap ND filter but the cheap CPL is now a coaster and the B+W is in the mail.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote