Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 30, 2014, 8:58 AM   #1

Default A Tough Place to Visit (but someone has too....)

Business trip to Santa Fe Wednesday and Thursday. We visited a home of someone who lives on a mountaintop above the town. Didn't get a chance to do too much shooting, but enough to get an idea of the view, with the E-M1 and 12-40 M. Zuiko and 7-14mm Panasonic..

Now, THIS is what I call a conference room...

Nice view out the bathroom window..

The mountains to the far north are Colorado..

Nice view looking west across Santa Fe..

The the opposite side of the pool..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2014, 11:12 AM   #2

Wow, that home looks more like a resort hotel!!!

I'm sure that was a rough business trip. You probably had to ask for a hardship bonus after making that trip. LOL
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 11:34 AM   #3

More like, part home and part museum. you hate sitting anywhere and messing something up.

She's a photographer and showed me her work station, including a massive Wacom tablet that shows the image on the tablet itself. Also the first time I've peered through the finder of a Leica S2 (and no doubt a $25,000 S2-P is not too far down the road for her) medium format DSLR.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Wow, that home looks more like a resort hotel!!!

I'm sure that was a rough business trip. You probably had to ask for a hardship bonus after making that trip. LOL
A big house but look like it needs a lot of maintenance.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 12:10 PM   #5

Maintenance, property taxes, monthly electric costs, even association dues. The total is a big number.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
More like, part home and part museum. you hate sitting anywhere and messing something up.

She's a photographer and showed me her work station, including a massive Wacom tablet that shows the image on the tablet itself. Also the first time I've peered through the finder of a Leica S2 (and no doubt a $25,000 S2-P is not too far down the road for her) medium format DSLR.
Lovely shots and views, I must ask what did she think of your gear?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:04 PM   #7

She took a look through the E-M1 and was impressed, but she had her own mirrorless coming the next day...... A Leica T outfit, complete with the EVF.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
She took a look through the E-M1 and was impressed, but she had her own mirrorless coming the next day...... A Leica T outfit, complete with the EVF.
ah yes the Leica T, made from a single block of aluminum, like God and Steve Jobs would want, the E-M1 must have seemed a little uncivilized in comparison

Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:54 AM   #9

She's definitely Leica-centric. There's one room I would call her "Leica room" with her grandfather's special-ordered and name-engraved Green R3 Safari SLR, her father's Leica SL2 and numerous older M and R lenses.

Around 10 years or so ago I fulfilled my desire of of using a Leica or Hasselblad outfit with an M6 setup for a couple of years. I guess, had I not bought anything else since, I could have funded a digital M by now to use with the lenses I had at the time. Problem with Leicas today, that's a lot of money for a digital camera that's already pretty much dated when new and truly obsolete within 2-3 years. She was already talking about the frustration of the "behind-the-times" S2 technology......and that was a lot more money than any digital M.

Nothing about the T has me enamored.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:30 PM   #10

The build quality of the Leica is second to none in my opinion. When I was stationed in Wurzburg, Germany I went to the local camera shop on the weekend for something to do. Whenever I went there I always wanted to hold the M4. You could just feel the quality in that camera. The owner offered to sell it to me on a payment plan but I would have had to reenlist to give me the necessary time to pay for it. :-)