Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:27 AM   #1

Default Just how "splash proof" is the Oly OM-D E-M5 ..

... with the kit lens 12-50mm? Anyone her with enough experience with this camera, who can elaborate a little? Does this combo stand up to a day of shooting in rainy condition?

I seem to remember that when the M5 was introduced there was this video of the camera with water being poured on...?

best regards from Norway,
Walter_S
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:23 AM   #2

Walter,

It is one of the main reasons I bought the OMD-E5 and second the portability.

When is rain on the forecast or visiting extreme weather places this is my camera to use, I have the 12-50mm and never had problems with water or dust.

The following were shoot under a heavy storm in NYC:

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:47 AM   #3

Default Em-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
... with the kit lens 12-50mm? Anyone her with enough experience with this camera, who can elaborate a little? Does this combo stand up to a day of shooting in rainy condition?

I seem to remember that when the M5 was introduced there was this video of the camera with water being poured on...?

best regards from Norway,
Walter_S
Hi Walter,

I agree with Marcelo,

I can even add that I used it (along with the EM-1) in cold weather (-20c) without any problems. I also used the EM-1 with the MMF-3 and the 50-200SWD under heavy rain and I had no problems

Regards,

Gilles

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Walter,
It is one of the main reasons I bought the OMD-E5 and second the portability. When is rain on the forecast or visiting extreme weather places this is my camera to use, I have the 12-50mm and never had problems with water or dust. The following were shoot under a heavy storm in NYC:
Hi MarceloLi - and thank you for Your reassuring comment. I can clearly see how much rain there was when you took those pictures. Water-droplets on the front lens as well. This gives it a really stormy expression, I like it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Hi Walter, I agree with Marcelo,
I can even add that I used it (along with the EM-1) in cold weather (-20c) without any problems. I also used the EM-1 with the MMF-3 and the 50-200SWD under heavy rain and I had no problems - Regards, Gilles
Thanks also to Giles for a quick comment, reassuring even more. Two opinions are always better than one.

I am basically a Nikon-guy with 4 Nikon DSLRs (D300s - D700 - D5100 - D5300) at home, and also have 3 Panasonic m4/3 cameras (G1 - GF3 and G5) for a "light" pack. Unfortunately, none of those are "splash proof".

But I need to cover a forthcoming event in July, the TSR (Tall Ships Race) held in my hometown --> https://twitter.com/TSRF2014 - where 50 of the biggest square-riggers (old sailing boats) are coming to Fredrikstad in Norway, and to be on the safe side, if it rains, I desperately need something to rely on.
http://www.visitoslofjord.no/no/fred.../Lei-en-skute/

Last time we had the same event in 2009 (I think) there were hardly any pictures around after the 3 day long event, because it POURED every single day.

So my options are either to go for a water-proof camera (Nikon 1 AW1 med 11-27,5mm) which is really waterproof down to 15 meters) - or this Olympus OM-D E M5. I would prefer the Oly because the Nikon 1 has a tiny sensor only.

Anyway, thanks again for you valued comment!

Best regards,
Walter_S
https://twitter.com/WalterWalsch

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Jun 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:14 PM   #5

I would still get a lightweight dry bag for it. I use a hiking food bag, which rolls up and has a clasp. That way, you can take it out, or clip it around your waist, shoot for a few minutes, and safely store it on you.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:45 AM   #6

Thank you drew881 for your sensible input!
)

Best regards,
Walter

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!