Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Default A Photoshop Digital Zoom Option

I've been playing with this now for a couple of weeks and really like the output if anyone is interested in trying. Great for when you want to crop in, but maybe don't want to go "all the way" to 2x like the Olympus digital 2x digital tele does.

In my case I am using it with two lenses, the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 and the Olympus 75-300 II.

First, open the image in Photoshop as I have done below and use the crop tool to crop down the image as you want, but before opening the file into Photoshop, click on the line outlined in red below..

You can see that line show a current resolution of 4608x3456, the native E-M1 file resolution. Had I cropped my image first, that number would have read the resolution of my resulting crop, which was 2275x1706, so I've cropped in a little over half-way.

Next window you will see is this..

The box "re-size to fit" is normally unchecked, but I checked it and changed the resolution boxes below back to the 4608x3456, telling ACR to resize my cropped file back to the original size, much the like the camera does when you use the digital 2X TC.

One note....next time you open a file in ACR, you have to make sure to open this window and uncheck that box or it will stay checked going forward and resize every file you process.

This was the original, uncropped file. captured at 100mm with the 35-100mm f2.8 Panasonic.

and cropped version..

The resulting files looks excellent to the X3Large size in Smugmug, or zoomed to 66% in Photoshop if you cropped them in severely like I did above, and fall apart at 100%, much like the in-camera cropped images, where zoomed to 50% in Photoshop is all the zooming those files can handle before they start going to pieces. The less cropped files can look good all the way to 100%.

And here are a couple of other images I did the same way from my last trip..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:17 PM   #2

At the Airport for my trip to Jackson, Wyoming. Packed my tripod, which took my bag to over 50 lbs, and American charged me $100 to check it!

Think I'll ship it to myself late next week before flying back.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:37 PM   #3

Have a great time Greg. Looking forward to seeing some fruit of your photographic labors.

And Thanks for the tutorial!
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 1:54 AM   #4

Thanks for this tutorial. This will be very useful. I'm in Moscow now. I'll have some shots to share later in the week.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:51 AM   #5

Nice tutorial Greg, thank you for sharing it with us.

What version of PS are you using?

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:06 AM   #6

Hi Marcelo. It is Photoshop CC. I believe all the controls I am using are available in CS6. What I don't know, is if any of the processing algorithyms in ACR are the same between the two latest versions of PS.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:40 PM   #7

The process produced some really nice shots Greg.