Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:26 PM   #1

Default Olympus outlet summer sale

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outl...m_medium=email

Just pulled the trigger (finally!) on an EM-10. I didn't exactly have the cash earmarked for it, but $475 total seems like an insanely good deal, and I was going to do it at some point, haha.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outl...m_medium=email

Just pulled the trigger (finally!) on an EM-10. I didn't exactly have the cash earmarked for it, but $475 total seems like an insanely good deal, and I was going to do it at some point, haha.
congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:12 PM   #3

I will, I just don't normally do spur-of-the-moment purchases. Heck, it took me three weeks to buy a pair of shoes, haha.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I will, I just don't normally do spur-of-the-moment purchases. Heck, it took me three weeks to buy a pair of shoes, haha.
I know the feeling, it was only after I missed out on the first go round that I didn't hesitate on the E-M1

At $475 you really got a great deal though, most of the features of the E-M1 at half the price!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:57 AM   #5

Just got a phone call from an Olympus rep. I'm sure it was for fraud check (my shipping and billing address are different--this is what I do for my work as well), but she did say that it looked like I'd be shipping this afternoon. New York to Pittsburgh is about 2-3 days.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:53 AM   #6

It arrived yesterday afternoon! I went out and shot right away instead of going through the menus and manual first. Any advice from OMD people on how to set things? I finally figured out how to turn the histogram on!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:22 PM   #7

That's the biggest hurdle.....finding all the options in the menus.

Hard to say, not knowing what they have left off the E-M10 compared to either the E-M5 or E-M1. One in-finder feature on the E-M1 I find I use almost every shot is the digital level that turns on with the half-press of the shutter release. The exposure graph that tells you whether you are over, or underexposed converts to a horizontal plane digital level on the half-press of the shutter release.

Of course, you also have to be using a certain finder style in order to use that feature and the E-M1 has three different options for setting the finder up....using the entire screen with data super-imposed (level on the half-press unavailable in that mode), or the finder can be set up with black strips along the edges with the data in those areas (level on half-press available).

In the E-M1, the J-cogs menu is the one for setting all the EVF options up. If the cogs menu for the E-M10 has a live view EVF section, that's where you would find the level on half press assuming it's even offered in that model, which it might not.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That's the biggest hurdle.....finding all the options in the menus.

Hard to say, not knowing what they have left off the E-M10 compared to either the E-M5 or E-M1. One in-finder feature on the E-M1 I find I use almost every shot is the digital level that turns on with the half-press of the shutter release. The exposure graph that tells you whether you are over, or underexposed converts to a horizontal plane digital level on the half-press of the shutter release.

Of course, you also have to be using a certain finder style in order to use that feature and the E-M1 has three different options for setting the finder up....using the entire screen with data super-imposed (level on the half-press unavailable in that mode), or the finder can be set up with black strips along the edges with the data in those areas (level on half-press available).

In the E-M1, the J-cogs menu is the one for setting all the EVF options up. If the cogs menu for the E-M10 has a live view EVF section, that's where you would find the level on half press assuming it's even offered in that model, which it might not.
Thanks Greg. The menus are mainly the same as with the E-PL2 (with some additions of course). I'm under the impression that the software for the EM1 and 10 are almost the same as well. I finally DID get the level to appear--I thought I had it turned on, but didn't have the right "view" toggled though to show it.

I did later read through the "manual" that comes in the box, but we all know how useful that thing is.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:19 PM   #9

Yeah, there are actually two types of digital levels in the E-M1. One shows both horizontal and vertical...the green lines. In a perfect world both of those bars plus the live histogram would be viewable on screen at the same time, but alas, with the E-M1 and E-M5 you have to choose between one or the other, not both.

The second one available in the E-M1 replaces the exposure compensation bar and is only active when you half-press the shutter release and is viewable on the screen with the live histogram. Also unfortunately, it is only a level for the horizontal plane, but that's better than nothing and I can't seem to keep anything level without it, even with the grid lines turned on.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:38 PM   #10

Quote:
but that's better than nothing and I can't seem to keep anything level without it, even with the grid lines turned on
Absolutely a must for me too, it is 'the saver' when one sees 'crooked'.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote