Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:42 PM   #1

Default Sandy, Hexanon 50mm f1.8 and focus peaking

Well I ended up selling the Olympus M. Zuiko 45mm f1.8 in part to fund the E-M1, so now I have to make do with a Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.8 for portraits. I figured the E-M1 having focus peaking would make the lens easier to use, and I was not disappointed.

In order to use focus peaking you need to assign it to an FN button. One of the two that sit down next to the lens on the opposite side of the lens release is unassigned by default. I decided to activate it and assign it to focus peaking. The effect is pretty neat and once you have focused back and forth a bit it is pretty easy to use. I found it very straight forward especially when using the LCD tilted.

I grabbed my best friend and loyal model Sandy and shot a session in the afternoon light filtered through the trees. If I remember I shot these all with the lens wide open with the camera in P mode, hand held and processed through LR.

P6210006 by ramcewan, on Flickr

P6210034 by ramcewan, on Flickr

P6210032 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:01 PM   #2

I don't know about your lens nor do I know much about focus peaking...... What I do know, Sandy is one beautiful model, a sweetheart, great photos.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I don't know about your lens nor do I know much about focus peaking...... What I do know, Sandy is one beautiful model, a sweetheart, great photos.
Thanks Bob! I'll give her a cookie for you

p.s. focus peaking is a feature on the E-M1 where areas of high contrast are highlighted in a sort of shimmer that allows you to easily put focus where you want. It's very handy when using manual focus

Last edited by ramcewan; Jun 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:33 PM   #4

Nice (though I'd never sell my 45, that's sacrilege haha).

I have an old (I think early 60s) Hexanon 57 1.4 that I really really like, can't wait to try it with focus peaking. I think you can get good deals on these good lenses because they're a bit orphaned. Similar Canon and especially Nikon lenses still seem to be pretty expensive.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:49 PM   #5

Three more great shots, RA! Sandy is a gorgeous model. And to my eye, that Konica may actually produce better results than the Oly 45. Nice work.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Nice (though I'd never sell my 45, that's sacrilege haha).

I have an old (I think early 60s) Hexanon 57 1.4 that I really really like, can't wait to try it with focus peaking. I think you can get good deals on these good lenses because they're a bit orphaned. Similar Canon and especially Nikon lenses still seem to be pretty expensive.
Yeah I scored the 50mm f1.8 for a song attached to a parts auto-reflex which I bought just for the lens. Most people go for the 50mm f1.4 because speed but I find the render of this lens very nice and sharp wide open, whereas the f1.4 is usually getting stopped down a bit.

I am sure you'll enjoy that 57 f1.4 with the focus peaking as it is another sharp lens from the Konica brand and the peaking makes it more fun to use.

What is ironic is that rumor has it Konica makes the M. Zuiko 45mm f1.8 under contract for Olympus

I've shot the superb Konica 40mm f1.8 as well as the M. Zuiko 45mm f1.8 and this 50mm f1.8 and I will say they certainly share a "character" in the way they render an image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootPilgrim View Post
Three more great shots, RA! Sandy is a gorgeous model. And to my eye, that Konica may actually produce better results than the Oly 45. Nice work.
Thanks Pilgrim! Credit goes to my model, Sandy, a shelter dog, she's brought me great happiness and she got an extra cookie for Bob tonight

Last edited by ramcewan; Jun 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:11 PM   #7

Those are beautiful. I wish I could define or explain it. It's a kind of creamy, better than life rendering. Very nice. I like on the last two how Sandy is in focus from paws to tail and bokeh starts immediately in front and behind her. Very nice.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post

I Agree

Very nice job, ramcewan
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:53 AM   #9

Thanks FredS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Those are beautiful. I wish I could define or explain it. It's a kind of creamy, better than life rendering. Very nice. I like on the last two how Sandy is in focus from paws to tail and bokeh starts immediately in front and behind her. Very nice.
Thanks chi, I agree the Hexanon lens has a really lovely bokeh and an almost 3-d render on items in focus. From a short distance away with this focal length and the focus peaking I was able to place the slice of in focus area precisly on Sandy. I'm really excited to have this feature on the E-M1.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:51 AM   #10

Give that sweetheart a cookie for me too. Many moons ago I had a Konica with the Hexagon lens on a 35mm cam. I always liked that lens and what it could do and it looks like it's still keeping it's reputation.