Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:57 PM   #1

Default Well.....Has Your E-M1 Started Losing It's Skin Yet?

Mine's just starting to show it. In the lower right-hand back corner, from 3pm to 6pm oround the review button, the body covering has loosened, bubbled up and it's only a matter of time before the outer edges give way and I'll either need to run down some good double-sided tape to reseal it myself or send it in to Olympus to apply a new covering. From posts I've seen on other sites, this seems like a pretty common area for the camera's covering to start loosening and eventually peeling off entirely from the edge.

A faint reminder of the past when the first Olympus DSLR I purchased, the E-1, started losing it's skin within four months of brand new. Sent it in under warranty and had it all replaced, only to see it start yet again within 6 months. Today, it's sitting in a bag in my closet that never comes out with the skin about 90% off the body. Never had the issue with many subsequent Olympus bodies, until now. Just checked as I could not remember. I picked up my E-M1 in December, 2013, so around 6 months....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:51 PM   #2

So far so good. I'll be watching for it now.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:40 AM   #3

I wonder if it's worth wiping the body down with a damp cloth from time to time to remove finger oils ?
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:00 AM   #4

Probably wouldn't hurt.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:16 AM   #5

I've check mine; it is fine, no loosening.

What I have noticed is that the 'wrap' material, while it does have a tacky feel which improves handling grip (and I like), well the grip areas on the material do show wear nearing what my E-3 does after exclusively using the E-3 more than 3-yrs.

I keep my cameras and lenses brush-dusted and wiped so hand/finger oil is kept to a minimum.

a few years ago when I did a tear-down and to replace the card cover of my E-300 a piece of fabric (covering a screw) was removed. A replacement was @ $7 US so I used a rubber cement I've used for other fixes and that piece of fabric is fixed to the E-300 yet. The cement cost $1 US.

If that piece of E-M1 material should come loose I will fix it with the same adhesive I used on the E-300.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 1, 2014 at 10:30 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:14 PM   #6

Well, I've never had to use it on a camera, but I recognize Bob's "Fix All Adhesive" from Super Glue.

I have used it on a variety of different things from automotive to household, and can attest that it really works well. $1 at the Dollar Tree. Just recently I used it to cement a loose piece of ceramic tile on an outdoor table. I haven't found anything that it can't fix.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:35 PM   #7

My only hesitation using something like a super glue product would be, if I needed to send the camera in for a "real" warranty-related servicing issue and Olympus needed to remove the covering, only to find it would not come off back there , would such a "fix" now void a warranty down the road before it expires in December? I'm figuring, it might.

Of course, chances are a year to 18 months from now I'm probably going to be using an E-M2 and nothing's going to happen with the E-M1.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:21 PM   #8

Greg, Super Glue is the maker, the 'adhesive' acts like a rubber cement, it does not finish as a hard weld. I've used it to fix rubber sole tears on my cheap camera hiking boots, there it stays pliable.

To fix the piece to my 300 I used a toothpick to spread a very thin coating. If I were to lift a corner the piece would likely peel off.

Yep, get it at one of the 'Dollar' stores, cost 1$ And I will bet you will be with the E-M2 by then...... wanna start a M2 rumor right away?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 1, 2014 at 9:24 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:34 PM   #9

i'm always up for another good rumor

Sounds like the fix to me. I'll go pick up some so it'll be on hand when the edges give way.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:44 AM   #10

The exposure dial top fell off my Em-5. Super glue was the option I used.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote