Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:59 AM   #1

Default Moscow: Hunter's Row and other sites

Hunter's Row (Okhotnyi riad) is an underground shopping complex just off of the Kremlin.

Other photos are the Moscow River and a monument to the Poet Vladimir Maiakovskii.

PS: I'm having fun shooting these, but I'm kind of sick of my processing presets. If anyone has any advice on tweaks I can make, or filters to use, I would love to change stuff up, other than the usual highlight and shadow adjustments beyond my huelight profile.

Last edited by drew881; Jul 2, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:06 AM   #2

I'll gladly send someone a raw file of any of these images to see the alternative ways to processing.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:03 PM   #3

First, the images look very good as-is. Beyond the normal presets, and I've used both the Huelight presets and now more often use the Adobe created profiles for the E-M1 which have a little more contrast/punch to them. Usually the camera natural option, but I do often also use the camera vivid option, I often go into the tone curves box and add additional brightness. If there's one fault I often find with my images, it's that I have not added enough light to convey brightness.

I also use the local adjustment brush to lighten/darken areas. It's the equivalent of using layers in Photoshop, but without the added complexity of having to use multiple layers and layer masks. Just choose the adjustment brush tool, select how much to brighten or lower a part of the scene and brush in the areas you want to affect. The cool part is, after brushing, you can go back to the amounts, change them and watch as the changes affect the area you brushed over.

I also use the gradient tool quite a bit, and it can be dragged both down from the top and up from the bottom if you're looking to make a gradual transition either way.

If you want to send me a file to try, please do.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 3, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
PS: I'm having fun shooting these, but I'm kind of sick of my processing presets.
I was surprised to read this because my comment was (and is) going to be how great your exposures are. Perfect. Sometimes less is more.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:57 PM   #5

When I first bought LR, somewhere back in version 3, I installed a few of Matt Kloskowski's presets. I still have his "Fall Color", "HDR", and "Big Sky" presets loaded. I don't use them as much anymore and when I do it's usually the "Big Sky" preset. I like what it does to clouds. You can find them (and many more) here: http://goo.gl/Ad2Paj

I suppose when someone builds a preset they're looking at a particular image or a common type or formula for an image. If your image fits the formula a preset can do wonders quickly. If it doesn't help, or gets worse, there's always Ctrl-Z.

Last edited by chiPersei; Jul 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spalling :)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:42 AM   #6

Very nice shots indeed.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:23 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the complements. I think I am just getting slightly bored with the processing/lenses I shoot with. Might be time to learn some new stuff. I'll start researching the gradients and masks. That might be fun to learn.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:45 PM   #8

I like to use split toning once in awhile. This is just a screen grab of the photo so not much to work with but used split toning to add the sunset color cast. Then used the Gradient tool along with Clarify to add a little drama to the the clouds. Also clarified the whole image +39. Post Crop Vignetting 16% and feathered. Exposure up .2, Contrast +28, Highlights -40, Shadows +50, Whites +7, Blacks -5. Also used the Adjustment Brush and the Temp slider to put some of the blue back in the boat and church.
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:09 PM   #9

Here's an example of using gradient filters on both the top and bottom of the image to light the two areas the way I wanted without disturbing the rest of the image. There was a lot of dynamic range I wanted to try and retain, with no all-white blown areas in the sky, but I also did not want it to look flat like so many HDR-processed images as it was very bright.

I just ordered a 30x40, gatorfoam-mounted print of this image from my Smugmug account.

If that print looks as good as I hope, this one'll be next..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:11 PM   #10

Those are pretty amazing Greg. Let us know how they turn out. I've printed a few up to 20x24 (canvas prints) but never been too happy with them. My photo's tend to be dark and when printed they're darker yet. Probably the toughest things in our hobby/profession is to make prints look like they did on screen. Calibration, soft proofing, color space, printer and monitor profiles. It's a real science.