Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Administrator

Thanks for the detailed response..

I installed ASP 2 in Windows (trial of it). But, I never updated it to the latest version and I really haven't spent much time with it, other than a quick glance or two after installing it (versus comparing image quality with ASP 1.x). I don't use Windows (8.1 in my desktop's case) very often. So, it's good for testing apps like ASP without impacting my default work environment in Linux.

I have ASP 1.x installed in Linux, which is what I use when I need to work on any of my own images, since my older Sony model is supported by it; and I've been debating on upgrading to the latest ASP 2.x release when a good sale price on the upgrade comes along. The lowest I've seen so far has been around $49.99, which isn't bad, but I'd prefer an even better sale price for an upgrade, since I'm in no big hurry for any reason. IOW, a half off price like we used to see from time to time with ASP 1.x would be nicer. :-)

ASP did get a [very] bad reputation because of the long time delays between updates for new camera models, and so far, the new project team looks like they're trying to reverse that trend (with several updates so far over the past couple of months). It looks like they still haven't added x-tran sensor support to keep some of the Fuji owners happy, but I've seen facebook comments that adding algorithms for that type of sensor pattern is on their high priority list.

Lens profile support is another topic I've seen complained about in the past, especially with some camera models with lenses that have a lot of distortion without any correction applied.

For example, I've seen Sony RX100 users complain in the past. But, they found work arounds by using the lens correction data from projects like LensFun and adding the corrections to ASP themselves.

So, hopefully the new project team will be aggressive about adding more lens correction data as time passes, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:53 PM   #12

nice shots Bob, this is a bird I have not seen before and it is cool to see it, good job and good thing those EM-1 files can stand a heavy crop!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:15 PM   #13

Never had the chance to see of photograph this bird.

You did a great job capturing it .
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:52 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
[snip]

I have ASP 1.x installed in Linux, which is what I use when I need to work on any of my own images, since my older Sony model is supported by it; and I've been debating on upgrading to the latest ASP 2.x release when a good sale price on the upgrade comes along. The lowest I've seen so far has been around $49.99, which isn't bad, but I'd prefer an even better sale price for an upgrade, since I'm in no big hurry for any reason. IOW, a half off price like we used to see from time to time with ASP 1.x would be nicer. :-)
Here we go (I finally see a special for half off in my e-mail from Corel). It's good through this weekend, so I'll probably go ahead and purchase the upgrade to ASP 2.0 now. Here's the web page view of the same e-mail I received:

http://links.email1-corel.com/YesCon...r9vAHNqoS5ufHQ
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote