Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:19 PM   #1

Default .......back to what I can do -- NO MORE BIRDS

I gave a try at birds a couple weeks ago when I found something special with the Mississippi Kite mating ritual which warranted far better images than I made. I saw a Cooper's hawk one early morning and shot some files of it ....... Again, CRAPPY JUNK for images by me!

So this week I've taken back my enjoyment for doing BUGS & stuff like bugs.

It is really hot here now (Greg C won't even get out in this heat) so until fall when color will be fantastic due to our cool & rainy summer I am enjoying my 0700 - 0830 walks about the pond areas of our parks and shooting what I find there that stings, flutters or hops.

These I shot this morning with the E-M1 / ZD 70-300 or m40-150 (no tubes either lens) in a nice sunrise light that made working the dragonflies composition for the light quite fun. These were shot JPG and tweaked with ASPro 2.

...first the Wheel Bug in the bright light, the best images I've done yet of this creature; lens = m40-150

....for the dragonflies I used the ZD70-300

.......a hopper from a couple days ago

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 8, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.......back to what I can do -- NO MORE BIRDS
It' hard to argue with success Bob.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:21 PM   #3

LOL, you've got that right! Katherine's AC quit on them Tuesday, then their electricity went out so they spent some time with me. I've been getting out a little, but not much, and what I have been shooting isn't worth sharing with anyone other than myself Testing things. Heading back to NJ to see Kelsey on 8/21 for a long weekend before she heads back overseas for a couple of months.

Birds have never been a subject I've done all that well, and dragon flies haven't exactly graced my finders all that well either. These are nice, and that grasshopper is beautiful.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:48 PM   #4

BTW, the detail on the photo of the grasshopper is truly amazing. From the spots on it's legs, the stripes in it's eyes and the structure in it's wings. Spot on.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Heading back to NJ to see Kelsey on 8/21 for a long weekend........
The weather should be nice that weekend.

I've lost track of the 'EVF IS shimmy' on the E-M1. Just realized recently that I've not noticed it and can't determine why, is there a setting that allows it. I've tried changing the EVF setting but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Quote:
.......detail on the photo of the grasshopper is truly amazing
Thanks Alan, grasshoppers are beautiful critters (IMO) and are much fun to photograph given the hunt is early day and the sun is bright. I photograph a lot of'em when there are no butterflies such as is our current summer.

I very much appreciate your comment.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:24 AM   #6

Baloney. I don't buy a word of it.

Yeah, while your bug pictures are superb, so were your bird shots. Here is just one of your superb egret shots:

There were so many other great shots, but I don't have the time right now to search for them. Now we know that all-white egret shots are one of the most difficult shots to nail. Are you really claiming that the Bob Brennan who posted shots like this does bad bird shots??

Nope, I don't buy it.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:00 AM   #7

Steven, thanks for the accolades..... on the big birds like Earl, they are done pretty well and I intend to continue all birds bigger than a Cardinal, Woodpecker and any other lit'iluns that typically sit down on tree limbs more than 10-feet focal distance.

I was pretty put-out that the Mississippi Kite files were basically not usable then 2-days later a beautiful Cooper's hawk which should have been the quality files as the egrets; well they turned out to be junk........ so it prompted my aggravation with making 'small' bird pictures.

Thanks for the kind words and reminder; BUT I ain't gonna fiddle with song sparrows anymore (lol).

boBBrennan.smugmug.com