Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:39 PM   #1

Default Question for our NY City residents

Going to the city with my daughter and son-in-law next Saturday and am attending the afternoon Yankee-Red Sox game at Yankee Stadium.

What are my chances of getting an E-M1 outfit in, in a Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag?

That's my smaller bag to stay within the bag policy, so I'll probably carry the 7-14/4, 12-35/2.8 instead of the 12-40 Zuiko and 35-100/2.8 Panasonic lenses. Could decide on the Panny GX7 too instead of the E-M1.

I'm also considering just carrying a little Panasonic LX7. We're taking the train into the city and I'd be screwed if some over-zealous security guard said no way. Not trying to nab any game action. Just images of the city and stadium. May cross the Harlem River too and get some shots of the historical markers where the Polo Grounds once stood.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 16, 2014 at 5:42 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:54 PM   #2

Here in Toronto, most sport venues don't worry about small camera, small lens. I've had a telephoto checked to see if really was a camera lens and not a crafty booze container. But with the increased security and "protection" of broadcast and league property rights you might be facing in NY, maybe going small and pocketable is the safe way to go
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:16 PM   #3

Re-reading Yankee Stadium policy, I'm pretty sure I'd be safe with the non-DSLR looking GX7 body and with the three lenses (Panny 12-35 instead of the 12-40 Zuiko) easily fits in the Thank Tank Bag so I'm pretty sure (at least this minute) that's how I am going to do it.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:27 PM   #4

I had no problems bringing the E-30 with some basic lens to the Oilers (NHL) games and even brought the 70-300 (4/3) with my EM-5 at an Eskimos Game (CFL) ... However, your millage can vary.

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:33 AM   #5

I called ahead to the Mercedes Superdome in New Orleans before I went to the Saints/Panthers game, and was told there was a six inch overall length limit on dslrs, which would seem to preclude the use of anything except the short kit lens, so I brought my canon sx50. When I got to the dome, I was shocked to see dslrs and long zooms being waved through. So sometimes the policy is not enforced to the letter, but I always like to err on the side of caution.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:07 AM   #6

Yeah, my daughter originally talked about going to a Phillies games at Citizens Bank Park, and they specifically have a 6 inch rule on lens length, but Yankee Stadium rules say extended zooms fine, just no "pro" equipment. The Panasonic GX7, not being a DSLR-type "look" is probably safer, and the 35-100mm f2.8 does not extend on zooming and is tiny for what it is. I'll probably wind up using the 7-14 quite a bit, which is why I want to not have to go with the little LX7. Otherwise, it's an excellent little camera.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
But with the increased security and "protection" of broadcast and league property rights you might be facing in NY, maybe going small and pocketable is the safe way to go
I think I'm 99% certain I would not have an issue getting in carrying the outfit in a small bag, but for convenience-sake, and because I'd kick myself silly if I was wrong because I'd be screwed with nowhere to store the outfit, the LX7 it is. Especially after playing with it for a few days and getting to know what works and does not in processing the raw files.

The jpeg's are actually quite nice, but they do tend to clip skies/highlights like so many compacts left on their own. If you expose a raw carefully, keeping that detail is not all that difficult and it captures some very nice fine detail. Surprising amount, actually. This is a very nice camera. I guess a combination of the spectacular 24-90mm f1.4-2.3 zoom and slightly larger sensor. I also like the fact it has "true" variable aspect ratios. Set to 24mm and the 16x9 wide frame and the view turns something closer to a 21-22mm lens.

There are plenty of places I go where the larger cameras are not allowed at all, like college football games. I'm going with my Baylor friend to see Baylor's new football stadium in early September and the LX7 will be an easy "in", where I know for certain neither the E-M1 or GX7 would be allowed, and it'll be great for documenting the new stadium.

Here are a few of the files I've captures the past 3 days. I can't recommend this little camera more to anyone who could use a nice, high-quality compact for when the bigger cameras are not convenient or allowed..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 19, 2014 at 7:59 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:21 AM   #8

.....it really does not matter what camera you hold!

I'm thinking to have you 'TUNE' my C7070WZ.

I'm glad you do these postings Greg, always have been happy to read and learn from them.... you will have a great trip; looking forward to seeing the photos.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:54 AM   #9

I was getting REALLY frustrated with the LX7 files for a while until I finally figured out, less processing in Adobe Camera raw was more.

I paid $10 for the three very nice profiles Colin Walker with Huelight created for the LX7 and other than sharpening, using the Highlights and whites sliders to control highlights and the black and shadows sliders for the other extremes, that's pretty much all I need to do. All using the Clarity slider, making tone curve adjustments, using the masking tool and anything more than just the minimal amount of noise reduction does is turn fine details into mush. There's also a surprising amount of headroom in the highlights if you just don't blow them totally out in exposing the image.

All things equal the E-M1 files sure handle a lot of processing better and I'll be using it for everything else I do while up there except for that one day trip to the city. I'm hoping we get a chance to stop by Central Park and I want to get up to the Bronx early enough we can get over the Harlem River to the former site of the Polo Grounds and capture some historical markers. It's only a mile from Yankee Stadium.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:00 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm hoping we get a chance to stop by Central Park and I want to get up to the Bronx early enough we can get over the Harlem River to the former site of the Polo Grounds and capture some historical markers. It's only a mile from Yankee Stadium.
.....doit, we are counting on it happening

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote