Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:43 PM   #1

Default Jazz Festival fun

We have a two day jazz festival during the summer, 5 stages, multiple bands from the early afternoon till midnight. Great fun, some good music and each year a real surprise in the line-up. This year was no different.

For this event I usually mount a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 for the extra light gathering, my M.40-150 can be just a tad too slow at the long end for these shots

The first night found myself at the side of the main stage while Dr. Lonnie Smith was wrapping up his set. He is a Hammond B3 player, with over 5 decades of performing. And I do have a soft spot for anyone that plays a B3. The crowd called out for more and he slowly ambled out to the front of the stage carrying what appeared to be a walking stick. Interesting. And then he started to play this walking stick. Wow. These are not the greatest shots possible, bad lighting, difficult focusing, I'm standing not fully braced to get things just so, but still, all in all, something to share.

It's called the Noodle and the sounds that were produced were jaw dropping…

Certainly having fun stunning the crowd.

Wish the insides of the B3 were better illuminated -- hey hey, its a tube amp

The next night caught the Daryl Stuermer Duo. Plays off and on with some band called Genesis and Phil Collins. This night it was just Daryl on guitars, Kostia on keyboards and a macbook with ProTools -- how times have changed

The band. This one is with the M.40-150

Fun couple of nights and a good exercise with the camera. No tripod, just anchoring myself into the camping chair everyone brings to the events. Exposures were about 1/200 at about f4, ISO pushed up to 400

Enjoy the music
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:10 AM   #2

These are fantastic ..... I know how difficult it is to do these and try my best during our arts festivals.

Does look like a fun time.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:26 PM   #3

Yes Bob, it is a fun event. And a real work out as to getting some shots. The stages use these annoying led panels with glaring primary coloured backlights that really throw things off. In post I try to set the white balance using the base drum skin, but even that is no guarentee of pleasing colour. These I set to about 3800K.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
These are fantastic ..... I know how difficult it is to do these and try my best during our arts festivals.

Does look like a fun time.
Ditto!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:18 PM   #5

Bad light or not , those are Fantastic shots Kula
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:22 PM   #6

Those are tough conditions. Well done.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote