Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I wonder how unweldy a 300 x1.4 is gonna be.
Not nearly as much as a 300mm f2.8 Digital Zuiko and a four-thirds to micro adapter.

Keeping it an f4 lens should allow them to make it reasonably handle-able(?)....

The E-M1 firmware update sounds nice too. Hopefully the new app works more like the Panasonic app does. I can use the GX7 with my iPhone and still have access to the GX7's back LCD to view and make any camera setting changes. I hate using the Olympus app with the E-M1 and losing the use of back LCD on the camera.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Maybe this combo will tickle me some and what will be the 'special' 1.4 TC (will it not work for other m43 lenses)......
I'd bet it's going to mount with the other lenses just fine but it, the 40-150 and 300mm M. Zuikos are probably being designed to work as close together as possible to maximize the optical performance with no consideration of how it might work with others, meaning it may work well with a lens like the 75/1.8, or it may look like [email protected], like the 75/1.8 does with extension tubes.

Some lenses may work well with it while others do not, or it may not work well with anything else. Just one example, if the optical designs of the 40-150 and 300mm included a recessed back element and the front element of the TC was forward enough, it would not mount on any other micro lens without damaging the back lens elements. Not saying that's the case, just another bit of speculation, but that would definitely preclude the TC being used or even mounted on any other micro lens.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Not nearly as much as a 300mm f2.8 Digital Zuiko and a four-thirds to micro adapter.

Keeping it an f4 lens should allow them to make it reasonably handle-able(?)....

The E-M1 firmware update sounds nice too. Hopefully the new app works more like the Panasonic app does. I can use the GX7 with my iPhone and still have access to the GX7's back LCD to view and make any camera setting changes. I hate using the Olympus app with the E-M1 and losing the use of back LCD on the camera.
Does it give you the bar code on the back the whole time? That's what's going on during the few times I've experimented with it on the EM10 so far.

Can't wait to see what you EM1 guys cook up using the Live Composite . . .
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:37 PM   #14

Yep, no access to back LCD while in wifi mode, so you lose the ability to get at certain settings, meaning you better have them dialed in first or you find yourself going into and out of wifi mode to just make a change to a camera setting, which is pretty pathetic compared to Panasonic's setup.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Yep, no access to back LCD while in wifi mode, so you lose the ability to get at certain settings, meaning you better have them dialed in first or you find yourself going into and out of wifi mode to just make a change to a camera setting, which is pretty pathetic compared to Panasonic's setup.
I just hope the changes get trickled down to the EM10.

I thought I was going to be able to use the WIFI to direct hookup to my PC through my router at home, for loading photos and such. You can't do that unless I just haven't figured out how yet.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:53 PM   #16

Yes, does look like they're setting the E-M1 up for shooting via computer tether, which would be a first for them since some of the earlier versions of the Olympus Studio product.

Announcement at 6am, London time, which would be what, 11pm Central (Dallas) time, so only 10 hours or so before all is revealed.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:20 PM   #17

I'm going to watch quietly and be a bit jealous as y'all get those new lenses... hopefully sometime next year or maybe the one after I'll get one of those 300mm f4s as it would find some good use for what I shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I just hope the changes get trickled down to the EM10.

I thought I was going to be able to use the WIFI to direct hookup to my PC through my router at home, for loading photos and such. You can't do that unless I just haven't figured out how yet.
yeah the EM1 has still not made the process of getting images from camera to laptop any faster. I bought a WiFi SD card before expecting it to also make that process easier, which it did not, in fact it just kinda stopped working as anything but a SD card so yeah waste of $$.

Quote:
Yes, does look like they're setting the E-M1 up for shooting via computer tether, which would be a first for them since some of the earlier versions of the Olympus Studio product.

Announcement at 6am, London time, which would be what, 11pm Central (Dallas) time, so only 10 hours or so before all is revealed.
I know it's a pretty big step but a good one to make it a contender in the studio.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:39 PM   #18

Well, darn, I guess they wanted to break up their announcements so they wouldn't do them all at one time.

Impatiently waiting.

Doesn't look like their new app is going to be much of an improvement. Just adds another feature or two. No real makeover.

Guess I'll have to entertain myself with Texas A&M and South Carolina tonight.....
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Just one example, if the optical designs of the 40-150 and 300mm included a recessed back element and the front element of the TC was forward enough, it would not mount on any other micro lens without damaging the back lens elements. Not saying that's the case, just another bit of speculation, but that would definitely preclude the TC being used or even mounted on any other micro lens.
leaked image of the TC seems to support this, unfortunately it seems mounting most micro lenses would be out, that said I bet there's room between a m4/3->4/3 adapter...

Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:21 AM   #20

Wow, the rear elements of the 40-150/2.8 and 300 must going to be really recessed. All my M. Zuikos' back elements are flush with the mount, so I see why that TC will not work with them alright.