Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM   #31

....I ran it by Bonnie today when we were out doing some 'Bonnie' shopping.

All I said was, 'Olympus have announced a new lens today and I am thinking it may be something I will want, PLUS there is already a lens that matches with the new one and I may want it too'

Her question..... 'I suppose then it could be your Christmas, huh?'

To which I said, '.........and I would be ok for Christmas, birthday, father's day AND maybe even Thanksgiving.'

So she said, 'Well, why don't you get it?'

I then replied, '.......THEM'

AND she said, you only live once and your time is a lot less now than it used to be, ....IT, THEM and the OTHERS if you want them get them and don't forget about the new floor for the master bedroom while you are 'pondering'.

So guess what ... I should stop by Arlington Camera and talk with Robert; I reckon on the way back from the 'flooring' store,,,, soon.

This conversation is the kind that has kept us married for 51-years, damn I'm lucky, we both give a 'little'.

Think Tank Retro 7 bag ..... FT 9-18, m12-40 f/2.8, m40-150 f/2.8, m1.4TC, and there is the digi-X2 too ya'know.

Pondering a bit here!!!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 16, 2014 at 8:31 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:52 PM   #32

Updated without a hitch. The process takes about 2-3 minutes once started. You can find Firmware v2.0 here

Now I just need a good explanation of each update or new feature and what it's good for. I did find a site that explained the Keystone Compensation feature and it is pretty dang cool.

Also, be advised there is a warning that all your settings will be wiped out except for focus settings (if I understood the warning right). For instance, mine was set to shoot in Adobe RGB but after the update it was back to the default setting of sRGB

Last edited by chiPersei; Sep 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:34 PM   #33

Just spent the past 30 minutes scrolling through the menus and resetting everything to where it was before, and I'm still not sure I have it all back the way I had it. You forget where some of that stuff is after you get it set the first time.

Lucky man, Bob.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Just spent the past 30 minutes scrolling through the menus and resetting everything to where it was before, and I'm still not sure I have it all back the way I had it. You forget where some of that stuff is after you get it set the first time.

Lucky man, Bob.
Ditto. It took me awhile to figure out how to get the histogram and level to both display in the EVF again. I must say I love this camera though.

And ditto on Bob too.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:54 AM   #35

Just figured out a couple of power saving options this firmware has added.

Stabilization turns off much quicker when you take your finger off the shutter release. At least, it sure seems to.

Even better is the way the auto switching from the EVF to the back LCD now works. Prior to now, in auto switching, anytime you remove your eye from the finder the back LCD comes on showing you the image. That still happens, but if you press the finder/LCD button once while in auto switching, when you remove your eye from the finder the back LCD comes on, but no image, just the camera settings. I never use the back LCD for composition (unless the camera is on a tripod) so that's how I am going to leave it set up. If you really need the back LCD image, just pressing the button again turns it back on but leaving the back image off while the camera is away from your eye should save on power.

Olympus should post a detailed data sheet on what all has changed. I just stumbled across the back LCD-thing and thought at first it must be some glitch before figuring out what was going on.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 16, 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:22 AM   #36

....oh heck, I remember once for an E-3 update I printed the 'menu' settings choices and went through my E-3 checking my menu settings B4 doing the update. It took quite a while to check off everything.

Then the update which reset all .... uh huh! My setup list and back to the E3 ... well, it took FOREVER because the update not only added some stuff, it also deleted some stuff OR moved it from where it were to someplace else.

THAT WAS A KILLER so I think I will just go through the menu for a quick review, doit and slide back through it for what I remember................

Then maybe call my friend and go through some settings like we did a long time ago; because he will have already worked out the good stuff === like how to set the EVF for showing also the level gauge, and; and; and oh well.

The 'pondering' continues but by Jan 01 next ,,,,,,,,,,well, maybe

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:04 AM   #37

I guess I should also re-check the level settings this evening....
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:12 AM   #38

Hey guys: FYI for you E-M1 owners - Godfrey over at fourthirdsphoto posted a settings spreadsheet form that you can download to your computer. That enables you to go into it and put in all your settings, so you can keep a permanent record of your M1 profile. It can be found here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ings_BLANK.pdf

Just as an example he also has a filled in sheet with all his setting on his own M1.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gs_EXAMPLE.pdf

I don't own the M! but it looks like it would be useful.

Here is a copy of his actual post at fourthirdsphoto.com
...."The manual is difficult to search until you have all the Olympus terms in your head. They fall out of my head regularly. That's why I made up the crib sheets ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ings_BLANK.pdf - a blank template for your settings
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gs_EXAMPLE.pdf - my standard settings as example

I found that once I had this simple list available and filled out for the EXAMPLE, I can find any command in just a few moments in the manual. Why? Because it makes clear what menu the settings are associated with and how they are named. You can even add annotations (the Olympus terms would be good, the manual page numbers also help) that make it easier. Like, if you're looking for stuff to do with video, remember that Olympus uses the term "movie". Etc.

I keep the example crib sheet in my bag in case I need to do a reset in the field. Sure makes it a lot quicker to restore my standard setup. :-)"
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:02 AM   #39

By comparison with what Olympus is putting out, it seems that we are getting really good value for the price. Here is Sony's 1400 dollar F4 lens...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-16-35mm-V...N%3DB00NGTN25C
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 AM   #40

Yeah, kind-of the way Panasonic does micro four-thirds users with the Leica-branded lenses, Sony does the same thing with the "Zeiss" lenses. Some part of that price is for the lens and some additional part is for the name. It's definitely a higher-end product, but the Sony name would have meant a lower price. I can't imagine what Panasonic would have charged had eiither the 12-35mm f2.8 or 35-100mm f2.8 been branded "Leica".