Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Default AfterShot Pro 2.............

COREL is offering a 50% price reduction for AfterShot Pro 2

@ http://tinyurl.com/n39ajfr

I use it & recommend it as a viable alternative to Lightroom; primarily because ASPro2 DOES NOT restrict usage to cataloging and ASPro2 is 1-license for APPLE OS, Linux & if you use it Windows OS.

Can be loaded to each of your OS with the 1-license.

BE CERTAIN TO CHECK THE CAMERA LIST FOR WHAT IS SUPPORTED for RAW DATA CATEGORY.

I do not have any business connection with COREL nor do I know anyone who does.

This post is only to pass on information regarding the ASPro2 sales promotion.

JimC .. please delete this post if it is inappropriate.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Administrator

Actually, I think I beat you to it by a few seconds, as I updated an earlier thread you started with some discussion about that kind of thing, right before you started this thread. ;-)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ml#post1379521

No, your post is not inappropriate, and I don't have a problem with this thread, as since you have no personal gain from posting this info, it only helps other members that are looking for good deals on products you're using.

It's about time Corel offered a better deal like this one on the new AfterShot Pro 2.0 release, so that users of the earlier 1.x releases could get a better deal on upgrading to the new 2.0 release (and others that have never used AfterShot Pro can get a great deal on a new purchase of it).

I'll probably go ahead and purchase the upgrade to ASP 2.0 myself this weekend while the sale price is still valid, since I'm still using AfterShot Pro 1.x (other than a quick "test drive" using a trial download of ASP 2.0), and I have been waiting on this kind of half price sale on ASP 2.0.

IMO, AfterShot Pro it's great software at a great price (and it's much faster than similar products like Adobe Lightroom, with a lot of features that Lightroom doesn't offer like layers and edit regions, ability to work with files without importing them into library/catalog first and more).

As you mentioned, the same license key works in multiple operating systems, without the need to buy a separate license for each Operating System you're using. Since I use both Windows and Linux in a multi-boot config, that's a great feature for my purposes (and I just point both installations to the same photos and libraries on an NTFS partition shared by them; so I can use either Operating System and see the same thing. For users that have multi-boot configs with Apple OS X and Windows installed, the same thing could be done.

But, even if you're only using one operating system, versus multiple operating system, it's still great software (loads of features, very fast compared to competing products like Adobe Lightroom; and now Corel is offering at a a super sale price this weekend).

So, hopefully, other members here will benefit from your post about the sale price and give it try.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:56 AM   #3

........one thing I am thinking of is, ' COREL has in the works more enhancement to ASPro2 which will include HDR processing.'

I hope it will be just an update (& FREE) but I doubt it will be FREE. Anyway a quick increase of paid users in front of that release likely could lead to more parcels out when the new ASPro2 is available.

I don't have Photomatix Pro (@ $99) but I do use the Essentials version, so for me, I am kinda anxious for ASPro2 to get HDR handling.

COREL does not publish anticipated delivery dates so whenever it will; be nobody I know knows.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Administrator

HDR features are already included in the Windows release of AfterShot Pro 2.0; and Corel has already stated that they'll be available for OS X and Linux this fall at no extra charge (it will be a free update).

Just look at the Features tab on the main product page at https://store.aftershotpro.com/1184/...ale_ASP2#tab=1 and you'll see an HDR section stating "Free Update for Mac and Linux coming Fall 2014":

Quote:
Complete High Dynamic Range (HDR) tools

Currently available for Windows only. Free update for Mac and Linux coming Fall 2014.

Create impressive photos with intense visual contrast using new High Dynamic Range (HDR) tools. Combine multiple exposures to create a single, stunning HDR photo. Within the all-new AfterShot HDR module, apply Smart Photo Fix, White Balance, Brightness/Contrast, Fill Light/Clarity, Local Tone Mapping, High Pass Sharpening, and Digital Noise Removal.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:07 PM   #5

.........thanks Jim,

I was only mentioning what I had read earlier. I haven't looked into it lately.

I'm about to post a couple HDR files I made today from E-M1 5 file bracket and Photomatix with no adjustment then into ASPro2 for tuning.

Little by little I'm coming around to HDR; but only for what I think is slight enhancement, nothing extreme.

We will see when I get them loaded in a minute or two and the folks critique them.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:33 PM   #6
Administrator

I'm probably not the best person to comment on HDR; as I think that most images that have been processed that way stink.

IOW, many images may have more detail brought out in shadow areas, etc; but they just look very fake/artificial

The same thing applies to many in camera settings for things like Dynamic Range Enhancement.

I don't want all portions of an image to have the same brightness and detail level.

Instead, I'd much prefer a more natural look to an image, where you are going to have darker areas in shadows where as much detail is not as visible, with mid range areas that you can see more detail, with some areas that are too bright to see as much detail.

That type of contrast within an image is more pleasing and natural to my eyes.

But, when I see images processed using HDR type software that combines multiple images into one image (or different exposures from the same raw file or similar technique), the images tend to look "flatter" with no clear distinction between brighter and darker areas of an image.

So, I have not embraced the concept of HDR processing so far. When done in a more subtle manner, sure it may have some benefits (bringing out a little more detail in shadow areas, or bringing out a little more detail in brighter areas that had blown highlights).

But, overall, most images I see that are result of HDR processing really stink in my eyes; as they just don't have enough contrast left between darker and brighter portions of a scene, giving them a very artificial look.

If the adjustments are more subtle in nature, again, I could see some minor benefits. But, most images I see using HDR processing are extremely fake/artificial looking, and tend to be very flat (with very little difference visible between brighter and darker areas after the HDR processing)

IOW, I'd rather have blocked shadows and blown highlights versus an image that was made using HDR techniques that has very little visible difference/contrast left between brighter and darker areas of the image (and most people using HDR software tend to go to the other extreme, producing very flat/artificial looking images with very little difference in contrast within the scene the image is capturing).

You can use more subtle settings with that kind of software. But, for whatever reason, most users don't seem to do that, and end up with horrible looking photos (as detail visible in shadow and highlight areas is not everything, and a lot more goes into a good image from my perspective, including having darker shadow areas without as much detail, and brighter areas with out as much detail; with the contrast within an image being an important consideration if you want to produce an image with a more natural/pleasing look).