Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:27 PM   #1

Default My 1st go at HDR with the E-M1, Photomatix & ASPro2

Thanks Alan for the 'push'; I flipped the lever this morning, selected bracket 5 and let'er snap. These are a bit 'shaky', I will use the tripod for the next attempt.

Then I put the files through Photomatix Essentials. I only allowed Photomatix to do the merge with no adjustments, then the TM file into ASPro2 for edit-tuning.

This is what I got and I kinda like the possibilities for some files as they happen... please ALL give me some feedback.

Thanks, Bob

............the HDR pictures!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:35 PM   #2

Those are stunningly clear. Now I AM a bit surprised that the HR didn't give you enough room to have more color in the sky. Looking at the water, I'd expect the sky to be a bright blue using the -2EV exposure (or whatever you had as the "dark" image).

Not that that bothers me or makes the image bad. I just wonder how that software works cases like that.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:02 PM   #3

My personal opinion is they are gorgeous. You did not over do it and wipe out all the shadows and blacks. Also no pronounced halos. Very nice Bob. I think we've unleashed a maestro.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Those are stunningly clear. Now I AM a bit surprised that the HR didn't give you enough room to have more color in the sky. Looking at the water, I'd expect the sky to be a bright blue using the -2EV exposure (or whatever you had as the "dark" image).

Not that that bothers me or makes the image bad. I just wonder how that software works cases like that.
Bob's images always seem sharp and clear and it makes me wonder if he got better copies of his lenses or body for that matter. Either that or he has a secret he's not sharing.

The sky is light. I'm not sure what the functionality of Photomatix Essentials is as I use the pro version. With ASP Pro though (I think I read it has layers) a person could layer the -2 EV image (or whichever one has the best sky) under the HDR image and use a layer mask to bring out the sky beneath.

I might pick up a copy of ASP Pro now that's it's on sale. I'm generally satisfied with LR but layers might tip the scales.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:32 PM   #5

Boy, couldn't have picked a better time from the mirror-like stillness of the water. Very natural looking. Pretty much like one would see just looking at it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote