Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
The 45th parallel (half way between the Equator and the North Pole) runs just a few miles north of Salem.
Yes this would be considered South Western Maine, near the border with NH, if it weren't for the hills on the other side of the lake and being down low you'd be able to see Mt. Washington's outline in the setting sun. There's some hills on the side of the lake this was taken from that offer a view to Mt. Washington, one of these times I have to go up there for a sunset.. or who knows maybe a sunrise as the sun hits Mt. Washington before the valleys below would be a cool shot I think. hmm

There are parts of Maine that go all the way up to the 47th parallel north. Which is actually further north than Montreal and Quebec city. Farthest I've been is Caribou which is up at 46.5 North. I went up to Loring Airforce base which is now decommissioned, but was where they'd fly the B-52s from to bomb Western Russia. Pretty much nothing else up there but pine trees though, well except when Phish would play, then it was a large town

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Great loon shots ramcewan
the first one is Fantastic
and
Oooouuu the sunset shots
Thanks Fred - the first shot is my best loon shot so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Those are all really nice shots.
Thanks Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Y'all are talking mostly about stuff I've no knowledge of, 'Scorpions & such'
but the loon I know about and the series there is very good.

I absolutely love it when I make a file of pure nature in the happening and these qualify, I am happy you saw it and save it.

Also, the sunset/dock is a very well done image that I like a bunch.
Lol - thanks Bob - yes I'm not sure I can pick out Scorpius in the photo but I am certainly impressed with Alan's ability to do so.

I also agree on the sequence, it was a special thing to see and I was lucky to capture it, I watched the mother feed the fledgling three fish and this one I just got lucky with the sequence and the focus, I am planning to print them out and put them in a four picture frame for the wall.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Lol - thanks Bob - yes I'm not sure I can pick out Scorpius in the photo but I am certainly impressed with Alan's ability to do so.
One of the benefits of being an insomniac. Not all the stars were apparent but enough to make an ID. I hope you don't mind my taking liberties with your photo ramcewan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpius
Attached Images

Last edited by chiPersei; Sep 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Added link.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:34 AM   #13

ramcewan,

I really like the loon photos!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
P.S. here is a sunset shot with the 14mm Lumix using both my ND8 and ND4 Hoya filters stacked to increase exposure time.

Sunset long exposure by ramcewan, on Flickr
Great shot here. I still have to pick up the 14mm Lumix and maybe make it my hiking lens.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:10 PM   #15

Alan - you'd be good to have if my GPS ever failed!

Drew881 - thanks, the 14mm is a great lens and has made some of my favorite photos. Although I now have both the 4/3 9-18 and the 14-54 which cover this focal length I still hold onto the 14 because it's so darn small and I have a set of filters for it.

Macbook - thanks I love the loons, especially their vocalizations which are a thing to hear at night.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:19 PM   #16

Those Loon shots have to be the best shots you have ever posted. Absolutely beautiful!