Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:39 PM   #11

Boy! I'm happy this has worked for y'all; now I need to set my Vanguard ball head and check my camera current settings cuz I have the same off-level as everyone here.

Supposed to rain tomorrow; may be a good day to do it.

The coming new M1 update is now said to do UHD 4K video. If that is true I will try it out to play on my Samsung 4K UHD TV and report later.

I've only ever done '1' video other than a camcorder, it was of walking my cat on a leash, I made it with my Oly C7070,,but if the M1, after the update, will do 4k I will definitely try it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Boy! I'm happy this has worked for y'all; now I need to set my Vanguard ball head and check my camera current settings cuz I have the same off-level as everyone here.

Supposed to rain tomorrow; may be a good day to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
The coming new M1 update is now said to do UHD 4K video. If that is true I will try it out to play on my Samsung 4K UHD TV and report later.

I've only ever done '1' video other than a camcorder, it was of walking my cat on a leash, I made it with my Oly C7070,,but if the M1, after the update, will do 4k I will definitely try it.
Yeah I'm excited for the other upgrades more than anything, I can't imagine shooting 4k very often, I'll have to upgrade my SD cards, 30-45 min is something like 64GB on the GH4 I believe. By extrapolation my 16GB cards will only hold 7 minutes or so.

I'm also hesitant on whether the 4k will actually be in the release, seems like there was a large test pool and a leak of the firmware all of which had no 4k option. Could there be a second firmware from the one that leaked? I guess but I'm betting unlikely, I have a feeling this is a GH4 fan-boy troll, I guess we'll know on Monday.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:00 AM   #13

Dumb question probably, but will 4K even be a benefit if you don't have the monitor to view in 4K anyhow? I guess I'm just not into video these days.

I tried leveling the other day, but I have doubts about how good my level is now. I never noticed before, but it's shows level being different depending on which way you hold it (and not in the manner it's intended). I think maybe that level was not a $3 well spent. :/
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:13 PM   #14

Default Level

As one of maybe twelve people in North America who use a Windows 8.1 phone, the Windows Store has a free app for it called, appropriately enough, Level.

Name:  P9140553.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  70.7 KB

I'm on the level --- even if the desk isn't!
MacBook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:37 PM   #15

Hey, thanks for that info. I use a Nokia Windows phone. I will check out that app.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Dumb question probably, but will 4K even be a benefit if you don't have the monitor to view in 4K anyhow? I guess I'm just not into video these days.
I'm as big a video-idiot as anyone. Never researched the various options/rates and couldn't tell you what's good for what or if I'm even saying this right.

I have seen some talk about shooting in 4K and processing down from there to 1080P being a very good process, and I say that not knowing how the heck you'd do it or if I actually said it right or not.

Not sure I've ever posted more about something I know about less than this message.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey, thanks for that info. I use a Nokia Windows phone. I will check out that app.
I thought about this too (even though I have an android phone) but couldn't convince myself that the level in the phone would be any more/less accurate than the one already in my camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I'm as big a video-idiot as anyone. Never researched the various options/rates and couldn't tell you what's good for what or if I'm even saying this right.

I have seen some talk about shooting in 4K and processing down from there to 1080P being a very good process, and I say that not knowing how the heck you'd do it or if I actually said it right or not.

Not sure I've ever posted more about something I know about less than this message.
I used to work for a video production company, and even though in my mind it wasn't that long ago the technology is still totally different and I unfortunately just haven't kept up. I know even less about video than I do about stills (if that's even possible, haha).
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote