Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:02 PM   #1

Default ....are'ya tired of my HDR stuff yet

So, this morning I used the tripod and the HDR1 setting on the E-M1 with the ZD 14-54.

I exposed the scene with the histogram backing down (-) the initial exposure until I liked the sky in the scene.

Not knowing if the camera HDR1 setting would work the 4-exposures off that initial setting...... it seems that was the case when I look at the final HDR1 jpg file.

Anyway, another learning experience and I actually like the files the HDR1 made which I edited in ASPro2.

I am not certain when I would use HDR1 or bracketed files into Photomatix but so far it has been a fun exercise.

Here're are a couple files I made this morning ... they are much better than the ones I made the first outing (bracketed exposures then merged with Photomatix and edited in ASPro2) and much less PP effort too.

Please, your opinions & thanks

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:25 PM   #2

Lovely stuff Bob. The first image is just a great composition with the road leading the eye to the center of the image. All are well exposed and make it hard to argue in favor of bracketed images. Paticullary if you're trying to save time or, more importantly, disk space.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:52 PM   #3

It is always nice to see HDR images that manage to avoid the "plastic" look.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Lovely stuff Bob. The first image is just a great composition with the road leading the eye to the center of the image. All are well exposed and make it hard to argue in favor of bracketed images. Paticullary if you're trying to save time or, more importantly, disk space.
Tnx Alan, I too like that image, I've seen it for real hundreds of times and always see it as if the 1st time.

........and thanks for the prod to try it!

I will try the HDR setting again for landscapes, it makes sense if one does not want a Photomatix finish and PP in a file editor does brings out the multi-file data mix very well.

Last fall I made some strong colorful images about this pond and this HDR procedure is what I will use this year.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
It is always nice to see HDR images that manage to avoid the "plastic" look.
+1 although I admit to easily falling prey to overdoing my HDR, heck I overdo some of my non-HDRs

Bob,
I'd say that these are a study in using the HDR to really improve dynamic range without becoming unnatural. I'd still be tempted to drag a gradient filter down from the sky on the first two and lower the exposure on the sky to bring out a deeper blue and clouds where visible, but again that's my style and to each his/her own.