Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:09 PM   #1

Default Ok. Something photographic

Here are 3 versions of the same image. The first is the resized OOC jpg, second is the unprocessed raw (converted to jpg and sized for upload), and lastly, the PP'd version.

The first two are from the properly exposed image of three images taken at 0, +2EV and -2EV. The last is the result of a workflow including processing the three as HDR in Photomatix, then Color Efex Pro 4, Perfect Effects 8 and finished in Lightroom. Note the crop is slightly different on the last image because the camera was handheld so when Photomatix aligned the images based on features there were slight overlaps around the edges that it discarded.
Attached Images

Last edited by chiPersei; Sep 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM. Reason: Typo
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:52 AM   #2

....you have gotten me interested and doing some exercises for HDR!

While I've used Photomatix Essentials for some of my car photos in the past and like the results, using (at your urging) the E-M1 HDR1 setting has become more of my favorite....... PP the resulting HDR1 JPG file in ASPro2 and not via Photomatix.

For me it is amazing what the M1 produces for JPG files and presently I am not shooting RAW for the 1st time in years. I do still shoot RAW when using my E-P3 for cars photos.

I just don't have the patience for fiddling with Photomatix off the E-M1 HDR JPG but PP those data withASPro 2 makes me happy.

So, in this post series ... I would do some simple sharpening and maybe slight color balance compression in ASPro 2 and call it a significant better of the three (IMHO); well, equal anyway and a bunch less 'fiddling'.

Gotta love this stuff these days, good post Alan, thanks.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:51 AM   #3

I'll bet that's true Bob. Maybe I'll figure out how to post the full size jpg for you to grab somewhere. I wouldn't mind seeing what ASPro 2 can do with it. I like trying different software and find it a palatable expense when wanting a new way to look at things.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:03 PM   #4

Alan ....will PM you here with link to upload to my Smugmug

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:03 PM   #5

1. ....file as uploaded

2. processed with ASPro 2
.) exposure adjusted +.25
.) Local Contrast +26 w/Radius +40 (LR - clarity)
.) slight sharpening +80 w/sensitivity 40

3. My crop for image presentation (spider web removed)

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:16 AM   #6

That last one put a big smile on my face. Nice job!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:52 AM   #7

Something does look odd with the image you started with though. It looks flat (on my monitor) compared to the original OOC .jpg I uploaded to your smugmug and/or the start of this thread. I expect the reason is because I changed the default sRGB setting in my EM1 to work in AdobeRGB 1998 since I work with a wide gamut monitor. I'm thinking when it was opened in ASPro 2 or at some point in the process it was converted to sRGB thereby dumping some of the color pallet. This color business is a bit convoluted and hard to grasp. Does that make sense to any of the color pros out there?

Edit:

Now that I think about it, it's likely ASPro 2 did not change the color pallet at any point. Since it output the resized ooc jpg in it's original Adobe RGB 1998 color space it would look flat in most mainstream browsers because they are not capable of displaying the full Adobe RGB 1998 color pallet. My head hurts. Again, color pros please chime in.

Edit 2:

So I think the moral to the story is; if you choose to shoot/work in a wider colorspace have your editing software convert the file to sRGB upon saving for the web. LR can default to sRGB output and I suppose other editors can as well. It will do a better job maintaining color fidelity than most browsers out there. If you are planning to print, leave it in Adobe RGB or whichever colorspace your lab recommends..

Last edited by chiPersei; Sep 13, 2014 at 9:54 AM. Reason: theorizing
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:11 AM   #8

I dunno, I just move the sliders to where I like the look

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:13 AM   #9

Well, I must say I love your final output and that's the image that really counts. Should have known you would put the boBBrennan spin (angle) on it.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Should have known you would put the boBBrennan spin (angle) on it.
......seems to be a habit I've gotten to, anyway I am glad you like the finish.

As you can see, I did minimal adj to the initial image in ASPro 2, it really is a good program; I've for years now intended to better use it but still only do the elementary stuff to get my $20 worth of it.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com