Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 AM   #11

I'm still messing with mine. Nothing worth posting yet. After using the M. Zuikos for so long it's amazing how heavy this lens is. It feels twice as heavy as the 12-40mm f2.8 and the area of the bag where it sat seemed to droop a bit lower than the rest of the bag. Just a massive lump of metal and glass. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on the 200mm f3 too. I believe this foray will be limited to this one lens, and I don't know for how long.

The Peaking feature does not seem all that accurate using the manual lens. Several times just messing around I recorded some files where it looked like certain areas were in-focus, but were nowhere close to in focus when I reviewed them, and I would never rely on my own visual perception as to whether an image is in-focus or not. Didn't think to try it on the GX7 and see if the Panasonic peaking system might work better for me or not.

I wound up doing a limited amount of shooting this weekend. I just get sucked in by all the Saturday college football on cable this time of the year. There was only one "favorite" playing Saturday, but there I was, multi channel surfing and jumping from one game to another from just after noon to well after midnight.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 22, 2014 at 9:19 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I set peaking to the top, front button, next to the lens mount.
That is where mine is set to as well. I find the feature a useful way to use some of my glass I still have left like the Sigma Super-Wide 24mm f2.8 and the superb Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.8. In fact I shared a few of Sandy with the 50mm f1.8 using focus peaking.

That said it is not something I'd do every day and it still pays to stop down a bit if you want to get any depth of focus.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:45 PM   #13

....I did not want to delay my nap to start a new thread.

It ain't easy to find so here is the OlyUSA link for downloading Capture => http://tinyurl.com/nraskrj

I am not updating my camera until next week but I am going to try the tether op when I get the time.

I'm going to do my nap now.................

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:29 AM   #14

Here some using an old OM mount Vivitar 28mm f2.5 (which I previously reported as an f4, doh!)
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:29 AM   #15

One more before it got too dark.
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:45 AM   #16

....thems pretty durn good I think and I do like them.

I'm busy doing the event photography for our fall arts festival this weekend. Started this (Fri) afternoon. As I was walking to the car to come home one end of the M1 strap fell free; habit I always hold the grip when I walk, the camera never hangs free when I walk................ I will post later with images, BUTTTT the d-ring snub came free from the camera, you will not believe how it is fastened to the camera.

The camera did NOT fall to the street because as I said I was holding onto thecamera. I will however need to send it to Olympus to be repaired to put back the d-ring snub.

Gotta go bed now .... busy all day tomorrow (with the E-3).

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Gotta go bed now .... busy all day tomorrow (with the E-3).

Have fun Bob, and I look forward to some E-3 posts.

As far as straps go I like the Upstrap model XXN. If you hang your camera off one shoulder it does a great job keeping it from slipping down. Plus, it doesn't have all the Oly advertising on it that screams "take me". Having said that, if the issue is a camera d-ring that's another story.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
DANG!!!! Those are mighty good looking photographs.
I have to agree with Bob. Good job Alan.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:33 PM   #19

Thanks Steven. I was anxious to try the lens just to see what it could do and like Bob has said (paraphrasing) 'sometimes you just gotta shoot what's available'.

Even though it's not very saturated my favorite is the first one because it shows the quality of the lens' bokeh pretty well. Looks like some of these old lenses are creamier than the new ones.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:38 PM   #20

After playing around with both it turns out, for me, the better way to focus this Series One Vivitar 135mm f2.3 is using the magnified view. Peaking results in more shots out of focus than in focus. I can bring up the magnified view, half press the release to turn on stabilization and wind up with a pretty clear, still enlargment that's very easy to focus critically since the E-M1 finder has such high resolution. Being a manual focus lens the pain is, having to manually turn on the magnified view, then turn it back off after you've focused so you can get the framing right.

And speaking of chromatic aberrations (even though I haven't yet), wow, at f2.3 I have never seen so much purple in an image, and the entire image looks like it has some sort of veil over it, it's so soft. That, combined with the fringing from hell, means the lens is best used from f4, and really to be honest, f5.6.

After putting this lens through its' paces, I will never make another disparaging remark about fringing issues with any Micro-specific lens, because they are trivial compared to this Vivitar Series One. Modern lens technology, you've gotta love it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote