Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:32 PM   #1

Default First Manual Focus Lens for my E-M1

I have avoided this realm up to now, preferring to stay with the fully compatible lenses, but finally did submit to a temptation on eBay (it was cheap enough) earlier this week, picking up a pretty cherry 135mm f2.3 Vivitar original Series 1 lens in Olympus OM mount to extend my fast lens setup beyond the 35-100mm f2.8 Panasonic.

I'm also eyeing a really nice 200mm f3 Series 1 to use alongside the 12-40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm f2.8 once I have it.

These original Series 1 Vivitars are magnificent lenses. They were not inexpensive in the mid-1970's when new. Supposedly I'm receiving the OM to Micro adapter today too. If so, a new toy to dabble with this weekend, and 270mm f2.3 sounds like some fun dabbling....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:38 PM   #2

That's pretty funny Greg. I took delivery of an MF-2 adapter less than a couple weeks ago. I have three OM system lenses that have been laying around for decades. One is a Zuiko Auto-Zoom 75-150mm f4, another is F.Zuiko 50mm f1.8 and lastly a Vivitar 28mm f4. I don't think the lenses are anything special but as long as I have them I figured I'd buy the adapter.

I've not tried the 50 or 28 and I've only taken a few shots with the 75-150. The few images seemed soft. I didn't get the feeling the in-camera IS was working with the old OM system lens mounted but I really haven't had time to figure it out.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:53 PM   #3

Took me a minute to even figure out how to manually set the IS system to 135mm for that lens, but finally did and the image in the finder does indeed freeze stone-cold still on the shutter release half press. The adapter arrived within the last 30 minutes.

Zooms would bit a bit more of a bother since you have to set the focal length being used manually for the stabilization system to work properly.

With the adapter fitted, the lens is as long as the 12-40mm+hood. The 135/2.3 has a built-in hood and manual focus is buttery smooth. I'm gonna try seeing if peaking will work. I believe it's supposed to. We'll see.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:08 PM   #4

Cool! I didn't know the IS had to be set to 135. Maybe that was the issue. I'll dig in and see if I can figure it out.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:11 PM   #5

that should be a good lens. I still have a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 from my OM-2 days. It was a good lens, but I rarely use it anymore, even though I have the 4/3 adapters. Same with my Zuiko 65-200mm f4.0 and my Tokina 80-200mm f4.5. (The Tokina was actually my favorite for all around use.)

Oly does make it easy to set the IBIS to the focal length of the lens, and remembers it. And setting the camera to Aperture priority make shooting easy. But I could not manual focus fast enough to do the kind of wildlife shooting I usually do. So even though the lens are fine, they stay in a spare camera bag most of the time.

Last edited by Steven R; Sep 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Cool! I didn't know the IS had to be set to 135. Maybe that was the issue. I'll dig in and see if I can figure it out.
You actually set it to the focal length being used. In my case that's 135mm. In your case with the 70-150, you'd need to guesstimate it. If you're zoomed to 100mm, select 100mm or the closest thing to it. I think that's why so many who do use manual lenses, use the primes, where you can just set it to one focal length and be done with it.

Did figure out the peaking. Won't come on automatically with all-manual lenses. You have to assign peaking to an FN button and bring it up manually when you want it by pressing that button. I set peaking to the top, front button, next to the lens mount.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You actually set it to the focal length being used. In my case that's 135mm. In your case with the 70-150, you'd need to guesstimate it. If you're zoomed to 100mm, select 100mm or the closest thing to it. I think that's why so many who do use manual lenses, use the primes, where you can just set it to one focal length and be done with it.

Did figure out the peaking. Won't come on automatically with all-manual lenses. You have to assign peaking to an FN button and bring it up manually when you want it by pressing that button. I set peaking to the top, front button, next to the lens mount.
I knew if it could be done, you'd figure it out. Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:49 PM   #8

Now that IBIS is set properly it works with the old OM System lenses. Also followed Greg's lead as far as setting up for focus peaking. Works great. Here's a few using the 50mm F.Zuiko that I THINK was the OM-1 kit lens. None of these are cropped except the old tire photo. The first version I cut about a quarter off the top of the frame (for content) but didn't take anything off the sides. The second version of the tire is a 100% crop (or as close as I could eyeball it) for the sake of a little pixel peeping.
Attached Images

Last edited by chiPersei; Sep 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:21 PM   #9

DANG!!!! Those are mighty good looking photographs.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:28 AM   #10

Thanks Bob! My "apparent" skill at photography seems goes up in sync with the subject mater.