Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:23 PM   #1

Default 1st Attemp Live COmp Star Trails

I should say 2nd attempt as the 1st attempt right before this was out of focus. For the second shot I set focus assist to "magnify" and I was able to tell better when it was in focus. This created using 25 sec exposures over about 45 minutes at ISO 800. The foreground isn't the best. This was just an experiment from a motel balcony in Sisters Oregon. The camera was set to "vibrant" to bring out the color of the stars and I did a little PP to make the sky a little darker. For those who aren't aware you can generally think the blue stars are young hot stars, white are main sequence (middle aged) stars and orange stars are the super giants that have burned much of their hydrogen.
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:03 PM   #2

That came out really good. I'm surprised that the lights on the ground from the hotel did not wash out the star trails.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:43 PM   #3

Hi Steven - Sisters has a strict outdoor-lighting ordinance. They pretty much follow the International Dark Sky Association recommendations (IDA) http://www.darksky.org/. Lights have to point down, are covered on top etc so light pollution is minimal. In an un-cropped version it's easy to see this particular motel does a pretty good job keeping light down where people can use it rather than wasting it into space.
Attached Images

Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:30 AM   #4

Cool. Live composite seems made for star trails, but I haven't tried it yet.

It's a neat feature, but for increased creativity I wish it would allow you to choose shorter shutter speed times.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM   #5

G'day mate

I also love star trails pics too
Your image is more than 'okay' - you have done well & the end result certainly comes out 'looking good'

fwiw - i use 'startrails.de' for my stacking software, and many images are 300 to 1000 camera images of anything from 15s to 30s each

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day mate

I also love star trails pics too
Your image is more than 'okay' - you have done well & the end result certainly comes out 'looking good'

fwiw - i use 'startrails.de' for my stacking software, and many images are 300 to 1000 camera images of anything from 15s to 30s each

Phil
WOW! That's a lot of images. I looked at a couple on your flickr and they are beauties. I particularly like the one with the blue sky. That must have been tricky. Thanks for the software tip and thanks for the comment.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
WOW! That's a lot of images. I looked at a couple on your flickr and they are beauties. I particularly like the one with the blue sky. That must have been tricky. Thanks for the software tip and thanks for the comment.
G'day mate

With star trails - fortunately nothing is 'hugely hard' [suits my style too ]

I usually start shooting 20mins after sundown and keep going for 2-3-4 hours [depends on the battery], then upon examining the images later, I choose the background image for the startrails from the collection now on the computer screen

Depending upon the sky conditions, the 1st chosen image for the background might be 20 or 30 or 45 mins after sundown, and the rest of the images are then stacked from there. Many of my pics are taken on nights of a full moon, so I get full landscape-style images with star trails too.

Without taking any more from your OP, did you like the campfire + startrails image?

Phil
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:34 PM   #8

I'm not sure I saw it. Is it the one taken at Millmerrin Q, Hopetoun Park? I like the composition on that one with the center off to the right. Seems to be missing the North Star though.

No worries about the OP. We're pretty loose here.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
I'm not sure I saw it. Is it the one taken at Millmerrin Q, Hopetoun Park? I like the composition on that one with the center off to the right. Seems to be missing the North Star though.

No worries about the OP. We're pretty loose here.
G'day mate

Millmerrin certainly has over 500 images to it
Here's the link into that Flickr album - the campfire is the 2nd image on display
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_...7629868649068/

Phil
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:09 PM   #10

I have not a clue of what y'all are talking but I am enjoying it and I am in awe of photos with hundreds of images used to make a final cut.

It truly is quite awesome............

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote