Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:24 PM   #1

Default Which lens?

I'm about to sell my DSLR gear and buy an OMD1 (1) I think that's the model. I will be investing all I can at the moment, which lens should I get as a good walk around lens?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:21 PM   #2

Hi,

The problem is that there is a lot of choice.

1) Since the OM-D EM-1 is "rugged" against water, dust and cold. I will suggest to simply go with the 12-50mm. It is not the fastest lens but it is also "rugged", can be used as a Macro (at 43mm) and the images you get are pretty good.

2) My second choice will be any of the "Trinity" lenses. i.e. 25mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 or the 75mm f1.8 (that one is expensive). The 45mm is probably the best bet.

3) Other choices: 14mm f2.5 Panasonic (pancake), 7.5mm Rokinon Fisheye (so much fun) or, if you can find a good used one: the 12-60mm 4/3 with the m4/3 MMF-3 adapter (that one is WAY better than the 12-50 ... and also quite large).

That's it for now, you have my 5 cents (sorry, no more 1 cent here in Canada )

Gilles

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:06 AM   #3

What's your budget for the lens, and are you more interested in primes or zooms?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:11 PM   #4

Greg, my budget would max out at the price for the camera and the aforementioned kit lens for the time being. I've pondered going with a cheaper body and better glass. I guess one option would be to get the body and a prime lens, and begin saving for a better zoom.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:53 PM   #5

I've seen some great photos taken with kit lenses. Have you looked at some images taken with the lens that comes with the EM-1? I bought just the body because I had several m34 lenses from owning a Panasonic G3. However, the G3 came as a kit and I lived happily with the kit lens for quite some time before adding a second one.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:55 AM   #6

Might want to try looking at the Oly lenses available at KEH camera. They have quite a few in EX or LN condition. I have bought two lenses from them and their EX condition lenses look like they just came out of the box. I believe they also have a 90 warranty.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Might want to try looking at the Oly lenses available at KEH camera. They have quite a few in EX or LN condition. I have bought two lenses from them and their EX condition lenses look like they just came out of the box. I believe they also have a 90 warranty.
I'll second what James said. KEH has an excellent reputation, are very conservative in their rating system, and usually have very good prices. When looking at the Olympus lens, remember that the micro 4/3 lens will be "m.Zuiko" instead of just "Zuiko" which is the original 4/3 which would also require an adapter to fit a micro 4/3 camera.

https://www.keh.com/search/list?m=26&category[]=Zoom+Lenses%2C+Mfg
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote