Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:27 AM   #1

Default Saturday Went To The Dogs

Time for the annual "Bark in the Park" where I do some volunteer work for a Dallas Schnauzer rescue group that has a party for owners and animals they have adopted from the group.

EM-1 and Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8. Lighting from a tripod-mounted FL50R, bounced into an umbrella in manual mode at 50% power, triggered by Cactus wireless trigger.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:38 AM   #2

Those are toooooo, perfect!
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:53 AM   #3

I said to Bonnie last week that your 'FurPorts' should happen soon. We always look forward to seeing them.

I will show her the gallery tomorrow. As always just beautiful photos of some really fine models, glad you volunteer.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:35 PM   #4

Professional quality! Those should be on a doggie calendar for the coming year.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:00 PM   #5

OMG what a beautiful set of pictures, those are zoo cute..!!

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:56 AM   #6

Geez those are some awfully nice shots Greg, and razor sharp to boot. Lighting is excellent.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:17 AM   #7

Thanks guys. This is the first time in three years the weather has been good. Last year it was cold, overcast and wet. The year before it was cold and overcast, so for the first time I had to deal with bright, mid-day light as this was an 11:30 to 2:30 time frame.

Fortunately, there was a good shade tree where we could set up and I used the flash as the main light, with an exposure of 1/320 second at f5.6, which results in the daylit background being a little bright. I compensated for the background brightness as much as I could in the raw converter. The real fix would have been being able to use manual FP mode and a higher shutter speed, but that's currently not available with the Cactus wireless triggers. Using the umbrella with the FL50R and being in front of it, I could not have used the Olympus line-of-site required wireless TTL system since any flash connected to the camera would not have "seen" the FL50R firing into the umbrella. Even if the setup would have been compatible, I've not had any consistently good luck with the Olympus wireless TTL system to have the confidence to use it in this setting.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:36 AM   #8

Greg- I'm curious about your lens selection. Did you use the Panasonic 35-100mm because you don't have an Oly of satisfactorily equivalent focal range or do you prefer the Panasonic for some intrinsic image producing quality for this type of work?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:47 PM   #9

To be honest, I could have used the 40-150mm f4-5.6. I did the first year I shot these:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Portfo...ber-6/n-zm5VB/

The sky was overcast that year as you can tell from the much more exposure-balanced background. Since the flash is the main light the slower lenses really didn't matter as I was setting the highest sync possible, which was a little lower with the E-M5 I was using then.

If I was looking to blur a closer background I would have intentionally wanted the 35-100mm to use at f2.8, but since more and more the owners want in on the pictures now, you need more depth of field than f2.8 from 5-7 feet away gives you, so I set the aperture at f5.6. The area beyond the table was so far away even the 40-150 zoomed to 70-95mm is going to blur a little from that distance. I've just been using the 35-100mm f2.8 so much it was the lens with the zoom range I wanted to use. If I were doing someone's son or daughter senior pictures or the like, I'd definitely choose the 35-100mm f2.8 (or, after November the 40-150mm f2.8) to narrow the depth of field more.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:59 PM   #10

Thanks for the great explanation Greg. I guess what I'm not hearing is that I need to buy that lens to get that look. Which is a good thing.