Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:29 AM   #1

Default Zion National Park - The Narrows

Hi everyone,

I am glad to be back to this forum after two months of traveling for work and vacations visiting California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah.

I traveled with my D600 and of course my all terrain OMD-E5, but with so many things at work and at home I didn't have chance to process my pictures.

I edited some from Zion - my favorite place in this planet- and The Narrows, it was an amazing experience for me, last year I didn't have chance to do it.

Enjoy the tour.

1.Entering The Narrows

3. This picture give you an idea how deep the canyon is.

4. I walked The narrows with my OMD-E5 + 3 lenses, tripod and ND filters, impossible to do it with my D600.

5. This is Pablo, he came from Ecuador to do this photographic trip with me, he is a great photographer in Quito- Ecuador.

6. Hikers having lunch

7. This brave lady was walking four hours bringing her son on her back.

9. After two hours of walking on water and rocks I reached this point. I was tired and after this point I went back to the bus station to do hike Angels Landing.

11. This little guy was very curios about my OMD and he came to inspect it very close.

I am glad the level of water was very low, in rain season this trail is closed because the water levels are ti high and very risky.

Last week a hiker dies doing The Narrows, the news indicate the level of water was very low when they started and suddenly it went higher and very strong.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/4e623...onal-park-dies

Hope you enjoyed the tour, this is the second time for me visiting Zion and I am already planning doing it again next year.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:57 AM   #2

I saw the story about the hiker who died. He became separated from his hiking partner on the other side of the river. Going to that set of parks is definitely on my list of "want to's"....

Beautiful place.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:40 AM   #3

Thank you for posting these shots. What a stand-out series of photographs.

Your shots bring back a lot of memories of when I visited that park back in 2001. I only had a small digital p&s then, and the photos did not turn out very well because of the contrast between the deep shadows and the bright sunshine.

You are right about the dangers of the narrows. The rangers were warning us then that a rainstorm way upstream from the park can cause a sudden increase in water levels and currents. I did not walk very far into the canyon, so your photos are doubly interesting to me.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:12 PM   #4

Marcelo
All I can say is WoW
Excellent shots
thanks for sharing
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I saw the story about the hiker who died. He became separated from his hiking partner on the other side of the river. Going to that set of parks is definitely on my list of "want to's"....

Beautiful place.
A very sad story, mother nature is beautiful but we have to set our limits and respect it.

I am in love of this part of the planet and I want to go back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Thank you for posting these shots. What a stand-out series of photographs.

Your shots bring back a lot of memories of when I visited that park back in 2001. I only had a small digital p&s then, and the photos did not turn out very well because of the contrast between the deep shadows and the bright sunshine.

You are right about the dangers of the narrows. The rangers were warning us then that a rainstorm way upstream from the park can cause a sudden increase in water levels and currents. I did not walk very far into the canyon, so your photos are doubly interesting to me.
Thank you Steven, I'm glad you like it. The dynamic range of the OMD-E5 is great and handled very well the shadows and bright sky's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Marcelo
All I can say is WoW
Excellent shots
thanks for sharing
Thank you Fred for the kind words.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:30 AM   #6

Beautiful exposures of a beautiful place. I've driven through Zion on a couple occasions and when I read the word Zion in your title I thought I'd see the typical (yet beautiful) roadside photographs. I should have known better. Now I'll have to go back and do a little more exploring.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:47 AM   #7

Those are beautiful shots and makes one want to go there. The photos also capture quite well just how vast it is.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Beautiful exposures of a beautiful place. I've driven through Zion on a couple occasions and when I read the word Zion in your title I thought I'd see the typical (yet beautiful) roadside photographs. I should have known better. Now I'll have to go back and do a little more exploring.
Thank you Allan, Zion is an amazing place and the photo opportunities are endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Those are beautiful shots and makes one want to go there. The photos also capture quite well just how vast it is.
Thank you James for the nice comment.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:42 AM   #9

....it is a beautiful and exciting place; like all of nature it can be risky at times.

Marcelo, your photos of Zion are beautiful, thanks for sharing your adventure.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Hope you enjoyed the tour, this is the second time for me visiting Zion and I am already planning doing it again next year.

Marcelo
great set Marcelo, Zion and Southern Utah was the part I missed when I went out to the Grand Canyon. I'm hoping work gives me an excuse next year to go out to Vegas and hit that area at the same time.