Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Having not tried this yet I'm having a hard time understanding what the issue is. Can't you just half press on something "infinity" away and hit the focus lock?
At night you may not be able to get a focus lock on anything infinity away. Ideally when doing astro photography you are in a very dark place where there isn't a distant lit up building to focus on before turning to the sky.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:16 PM   #12

Use live view and zoom in with focus assist (if your camera has that feature), and focus on the trees in the background. If they are in focus, then the milkyway should be in focus. If you have trouble seeing the trees in live view in the dark then use a strong flashlight to illuminate them so you can see them. Also you might try getting the focus you want for the scene when it is still light, then put a small scratch line on the lens barrel so you can use that as a reference point to start with in the dark. I did that with my sigma lens since infinity didn't give me a good focus at night.
Also try focusing on something about 8 feet away and see what you get (see dof calculator ( I didn't see your camera model listed but the em5 was) on Online Depth of Field Calculator)

Last edited by rainrunner; Oct 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM.
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
With a Panasonic, when you are in manual focus, squeeze the lens release button. You can hear a little "click" and it should go to infinity (or close). At least close enough that you don't have to try and hunt for your subject.

Long exposures at night, flash in the dark, night skies, macro, etc. I couldn't use a camera that didn't set infinity. All Panasonics do that as far as I know. It should work the same with an Olympus lens. I don't know why it wouldn't work wiith an Olympus body.
Thank you so much for the advice, i'll try tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
a couple of things I found;

1. setting your camera to "reset the lens" on power off is supposed to put the lens at infinity. Procedure would be to turn this feature on, set focus mode to MF and then turn the camera off and back on. (not sure I trust this)

2. There are a few scene modes that say they are setting to infinity (night and fireworks for example). Now you loose a lot of control with the scene modes so these may not be ideal.

3. Like others have said you can focus on a distant object and then lock focus.

Obviously the other option is to use a lens with a focus scale like some of the old 4/3 have, my 14-54 for example has one but the 9-18 does not (?!?!?).

You might also look at a MF lens like the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 12mm f2.0 which got a nice write-up on petapixel for astro photography

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/04/revi...hotogs-budget/

whatever you figure out please do let us know as it is something that has bothered me as well.
Thank you for the info, If I find a solution I will share here, with pictures also of course.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day fellas

You are all correct with focus issues - and it matters not that it is the 9-18 or any of the Ca-Ni-tax-ony collection of 18-55 kit lenses ~ none of them have any sort of focus assist at night for this sort of pic

All I have done with others & mine, is just on sunset, with lens on 18mm [for the 18-55] I focus on infinity, cancel AF, stickytape the focus ring to prevent movement, then come back several hours later and realign camera for the portion of sky I am interested in

Phil
Phil, it is a great idea to set the camera on focus on a element on ground but I need to set the focus on the sky so I can have a sharp and crispy Milky Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
All this has me interested. Now I have to try it. I know there are some fairly bright stars in the sky and tonight I'm gonna put the camera on a tripod and manually focus, using any means possible to enlarge the focus area to assist and see how well/poorly they go into and out of focus.

Marcelo, that image you took with the Nikon outfit is outstanding.
Thank you for the comment and let me know if you find a clue to this dilema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I'm lurking around the corner here; maybe to learn something new but definitely I've nothing to contribute.

I do find it interesting and Marcelo the NIKON photograph is a really nice image.
Thank you Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
With the camera on the tripod, set manual focus and just turn the focus ring a turn or more in the direction of infinity. Then, just take the shot. That should be about as good as it gets.

If you use the zoom ring or touch the focus ring, you'll have to start over again.

I just ignore the liveview, except for the framing.
Thank you BB, I'll, try tomorow night and share my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Having not tried this yet I'm having a hard time understanding what the issue is. Can't you just half press on something "infinity" away and hit the focus lock?
If you want to capture the Milky way you have to do this in a very dark location with out any light contamination or intrusion. The lens has no focus scale at all.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:44 PM   #14

I looked outside about 10pm last night and there were too many clouds to do much of anything. It's getting to be the time of year when the Orion Constellation is up here late in the evening with a couple of the brighter stars. It's looking like tonight'll be a good night to give it a try.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 14, 2014 at 6:51 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:06 PM   #15

G'day fellas

More on focus issues ...

Definition of infinity = "1000x the focal length in use"
Therefore with the 18-55mm kit lens, infinity is 18mm x 1000 = 18metres or 60feet

So by focussing on a distant tree or building or whatever you can see, so long as it's over 60 feet away, the lens will be locked onto infinity before you use the sticky tape to prevent its accidental resetting

As to the mechanics of the lens focussing on infinity, all electro-focus lenses will go 'beyond' infinity in order that the focus-chip can determine that the 'best' sharpness has been passed and the lens then starts to return to a point of 'best' sharpness.

You can get close by rotating the lens till it stops, then backing off one or two grooves in the focus ring, then doing a 30-second exposure and viewing the result, before tweaking the focus ring again, and doing another trial exposure. It is not instant [like daylight work] but it can be done okay with a little patience

For me - I do the focus stuff at sundown, have dinner + some delightful Cab Sav or somesuch, then come back later for the actual photo taking

Hope this helps those who've never done after dark stuff
ps- my Flickr library has plenty of after dark images for those interested
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:00 AM   #16

I took some pictures tonight in my backyard to test all the ways to obtain infinity focus, we have a bad weather in NY but for some minutes the sky was clear.
BBuilder metod is not working with my OMD, after the click the lens is not in infinity.
Phil metod is closer to infinity but I noticed the stars are a little out of focus.
I tried something I think is closer to infinity and what I did is just turning the focus ring all the way to the left and when I noticed it was full to the left I bring it back to right a little.
I'm not too happy with the results but it is much better of what I had in Arizona.

Unfortunately a few minutes after the sky was all cover by clouds.

I am planning to go to the beach tomorrow or Thursday night to test in a darker environment, I'll share my results.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Oct 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:41 AM   #17

I know it wasn't what you were trying to do, but the cloud one looks really cool!
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:53 PM   #18

Related subject...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/te...tography.shtml

I may just have to look into that device at B&H.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:36 PM   #19

Thinking about this thread I'm considering the rokinon 12mm/f2 if I ever get a wide. It's MF so none of this should ever be an issue, right? And being wide I imagine MFing (haha) for other kinds of shots shouldn't be a big deal.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:44 PM   #20

haha! MFing hard, indeed.

Does the Rokinon 12mm f2 have a hard stop on infinity? If it doesn't you may be no better off than someone with a 12mm f2 M. Zuiko using the distance scale on the snap ring. I don't find centering the infinity mark over the index with these newer lenses actually gets you on infinity like one used to be able to do in the all-manual focus days.