Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:24 PM   #1

Default Milky Way with OMD-9-18mm

In my last trip to Utah I tried to shoot the Milky Way but I didn't find the way to adjust my 9-18mm to infinity. I tried to use live view with out any success.

This is what i get:

Next weekend I will hiking Bear Mountain and I want to bring my OMD and shoot the Milky Way, any advice and tips about it?

This picture is with the Nikon D600 + 14-24mm f2.8

Regards.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:48 PM   #2

Olympus and Panasonic both need to come up with another setting one can assign to a button, an infinity setting. It's one of those major deficiencies in a system that relies on manual focus by wire and 98% of the lenses not having marked focus rings.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:17 PM   #3

With a Panasonic, when you are in manual focus, squeeze the lens release button. You can hear a little "click" and it should go to infinity (or close). At least close enough that you don't have to try and hunt for your subject.

Long exposures at night, flash in the dark, night skies, macro, etc. I couldn't use a camera that didn't set infinity. All Panasonics do that as far as I know. It should work the same with an Olympus lens. I don't know why it wouldn't work wiith an Olympus body.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:25 PM   #4

a couple of things I found;

1. setting your camera to "reset the lens" on power off is supposed to put the lens at infinity. Procedure would be to turn this feature on, set focus mode to MF and then turn the camera off and back on. (not sure I trust this)

2. There are a few scene modes that say they are setting to infinity (night and fireworks for example). Now you loose a lot of control with the scene modes so these may not be ideal.

3. Like others have said you can focus on a distant object and then lock focus.

Obviously the other option is to use a lens with a focus scale like some of the old 4/3 have, my 14-54 for example has one but the 9-18 does not (?!?!?).

You might also look at a MF lens like the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 12mm f2.0 which got a nice write-up on petapixel for astro photography

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/04/revi...hotogs-budget/

whatever you figure out please do let us know as it is something that has bothered me as well.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:44 PM   #5

You are correct, neither version of the 9-18 (four-thirds or Micro), has a focus scale.

From what I recall, and it's been a while, when I would power my DSLR down with the lens-reset turned on, they would definitely move back towards infinity focus, but never went back exactly to infinity. They sometimes settled beyond infinity, but it wouldn't take long for someone to test that. The Micro Zuikos with the snap focus ring will not AF when the ring is pulled back and distance scale revealed so it's impossible to test on those lenses too.

Like the 12-40mm f2.8 I now use, I also remember my 12-60 SWD Four-Thirds Zuiko not having an accurate infinity setting.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:53 PM   #6

G'day fellas

You are all correct with focus issues - and it matters not that it is the 9-18 or any of the Ca-Ni-tax-ony collection of 18-55 kit lenses ~ none of them have any sort of focus assist at night for this sort of pic

All I have done with others & mine, is just on sunset, with lens on 18mm [for the 18-55] I focus on infinity, cancel AF, stickytape the focus ring to prevent movement, then come back several hours later and realign camera for the portion of sky I am interested in

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:59 PM   #7

All this has me interested. Now I have to try it. I know there are some fairly bright stars in the sky and tonight I'm gonna put the camera on a tripod and manually focus, using any means possible to enlarge the focus area to assist and see how well/poorly they go into and out of focus.

Marcelo, that image you took with the Nikon outfit is outstanding.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:55 PM   #8

I'm lurking around the corner here; maybe to learn something new but definitely I've nothing to contribute.

I do find it interesting and Marcelo the NIKON photograph is a really nice image.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 13, 2014 at 6:29 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:50 PM   #9

With the camera on the tripod, set manual focus and just turn the focus ring a turn or more in the direction of infinity. Then, just take the shot. That should be about as good as it gets.

If you use the zoom ring or touch the focus ring, you'll have to start over again.

I just ignore the liveview, except for the framing.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:50 AM   #10

Having not tried this yet I'm having a hard time understanding what the issue is. Can't you just half press on something "infinity" away and hit the focus lock?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote