Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:13 PM   #1

Default Fall's final gasps of colors

It's been an outstanding foliage year, alas I feel I did not get out enough to capture it properly. It comes and it goes and the trees are left bare.

Friday after work I went out with the E-M1 and the Zuiko 9-18mm and grabbed a few shots.

This spot is Cargill's Grist Mill and dates back to 1720, this shot is a crop showing the original grinding wheel from the mill. Behind sits a stone wall which acted as the damn.

Cargill Grist Mill Wheel by ramcewan, on Flickr

Climbing up onto the wall shows a beautiful vista of Manter Brook which powered the mill. I really like this shot because of the S shape the water forms draws the eye into the pines and marsh at the end.

Cargill Grist Mill by ramcewan, on Flickr

Above the mill are some fields which likely have been farmed since the 1700s when the mill was in operation.

I cropped this to a panoramic view.

Field above Grist Mill Pano by ramcewan, on Flickr

and this looks to the corn field half cut with the tractor sitting where it left off, to me this is fall in New England. I wish I'd had the 14-54mm with me as I would have liked to get in closer on the tractor.

Field above Cargill Grist Mill by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Oct 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:30 PM   #2

All nice photos but I can see the 2nd one as the cover of an oversize coffee table book on New England fall colors. I never really know how to describe it but I know it when I see it. Some shots have everything going for them and that is one of them.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
All nice photos but I can see the 2nd one as the cover of an oversize coffee table book on New England fall colors. I never really know how to describe it but I know it when I see it. Some shots have everything going for them and that is one of them.
Yeah that one came out real nice, just a perfect spot at that time of day, and I was lucky to get a good capture. Hours after posting it the shot gathered 6-7 favorites on flickr which is a new high for me.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:48 PM   #4

Beautiful pictures, love the blue and warm colors of the leaves.

Fall is such a beautiful season for this kind of photography.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:48 AM   #5

Oh MY! These are just beautiful and the 9-18 was the lens for doing them. No favorites here for me but the 'pano cut' edges a bit as my chosen one.

Fall color here is happening; we only have the evergreens mixed with shades of yellow, very little reds, but during early and/or late afternoon light those colors do give us our fall. I am watching closely for a good afternoon and before the winds strip the foliage.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:51 PM   #6

Very nice and #2 is my fave, very colorful. I know Bob takes some gorgeous shots with the 9-18.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Yes, I like them all; but #2 held my attention as it just radiates a tranquil feel that grabs a viewer's attention.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:03 PM   #8

Thanks James, Steven, Bob and Marcelo, I am glad you enjoyed them. I am lucky to drive through very scenic country back and forth from work. I used to do an hour long grind down to the edge of Boston each day but have been working north of Boston for 6 years now enjoying a 30 minute scenic ride that happens to pass by my daughter's schools middle and now high school. This gives me nice opportunities to capture some rural scenes.

Like you guys I am fond of number 2, it was a perfect spot I will have to visit again. That said the way number 3 stretches out before the eye really pleases me too.

I used a graduated filter to darken exposure on the sky to bring out the blue and clouds and somewhat equalize them with the reflection, I did the same on the others as well. The last one I ended up doing this and then darkening with the spot tool the tree with the posted sign as it was getting direct afternoon sunlight and a bit blown out when I adjust exposure for the field.

Last edited by ramcewan; Oct 30, 2014 at 9:06 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote