Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Of course!
Thanks Sammy-

This was opened in LR then exported to the onOne plugin where the "Fall Enhancer" preset was applied. So if you feel this goes too far don't blame me. Some developer thought this was the right amount. Before exiting back to LR the Dynamic Contrast "Natural" preset was also applied.

Once back in LR I selectively brushed a little Clarity into the tops of the hills and houses, added post-crop vignetting, and used the gradient tool to darken the top and bottom of the frame a fraction of a stop. A little overall exposure and clarity adjustment and voila.

With any of our photos ten people could make adjustments and we'd get 11 different versions. All very nice. It's really a matter of taste.

Thanks again.
Attached Images

Last edited by chiPersei; Nov 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM. Reason: Splelling
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:53 AM   #12

Wow, that looks good, especially what you got out of the clouds. In a perfect world some more black would be nice but it might be this monitor too.

Anyhow, good to know I dont have to be so shy about some of the adjustments--I think I just remembered it being drab that day and was keeping to that.

But yeah, like you I love how different people can come up with different things. And it's not like any of them are wrong. :0
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:41 AM   #13

Quote:
In a perfect world some more black would be nice but it might be this monitor too.
Agreed. This version has the LR Black slider set at -55 and it does look better.

Quote:
I think I just remembered it being drab that day and was keeping to that.
I fully understand. That's why I didn't mess to much with the fog pictures before posting the other day. Though chemical bath developers would have drooled to make adjustments such as what's possible today, it sometimes really is about "capturing the moment".
Attached Images

Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:53 AM   #14

Nice shots Sammy, I really like the water one with the dead trees in the foreground
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:47 PM   #15

That last shot is IT, Chi--I really need to get better at processing (and taking shots, and . . . )

And thanks Ramcewan--I like that one too, it was off a road I took a wrong turn onto, so it was lucky all around.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:54 PM   #16

Getting around to unloading some more.

This is McConnells Mill State Park--about an hour North of here and one of my absolute favorite places in the world. The only bad thing this time was a big storm hit about a half an hour after I arrived--turning my six hour hike into a 20-minute shoot-and-run. This is in a very deep ravine with some treacherous rocks and cliffs and nowhere to take for granted when the weather turns bad. I need to learn to check the weather before I head out.

fall 2014-141.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

fall 2014-144.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

fall 2014-185.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

fall 2014-146.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

This last one was originally going to be a HDR--I didn't like how it looked so I took the -3 exposure and tried my luck with pushing the darkness up. It's a little noisy but I like the sky and wanted to keep it intact.

fall 2014-171.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:14 AM   #17

I can see why you love it there. I bet it's beautiful in the spring season as well (probably all seasons but spring and autumn are my faves). Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Getting around to unloading some more.

This last one was originally going to be a HDR--I didn't like how it looked so I took the -3 exposure and tried my luck with pushing the darkness up. It's a little noisy but I like the sky and wanted to keep it intact.
I've been doing that more and more lately. Bracketing and working with the darker exposure. Either that or the one proper exposure. The Blacks, Whites, Shadows, Highlights, HSL, Contrast and yes, Noise Reduction all need more work when starting with the dark exposure though. Anyway, I reeeealy like your last composition and wanted to add a little pop. I can see this one hanging on the wall. BTW- the changes were all manually added in LR. No plugins or presets required.
Attached Images

Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:45 AM   #19

very nice Chi. Thanks. What did you increase--the saturation and clarity? Probably more than that though, as I didn't even put in any sharpening. I'm getting some artifacts on my side but I'm assuming that's because of uploading/file size/etc.

And yeah, I need to make more use of the photo printer I bought--the thing is huge and I need to better justify the living room real-estate.

In case anyone's curious, the reason I couldn't do a good HDR (other than me not having a lot of experience with it) was because of an error I made setting up the bracketing. I thought I'd be getting 5 exposures between +3 and -3EV, and instead got five exposures with 3 EV separating each of them. Of course the +6 and -6 were worthless, and the software didnt seem to like such a big gap between the others.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:48 PM   #20

Quote:
very nice Chi. Thanks. What did you increase--the saturation and clarity? Probably more than that though, as I didn't even put in any sharpening. I'm getting some artifacts on my side but I'm assuming that's because of uploading/file size/etc.
Actually there was no use of the three LR "Presence" sliders of Clarity, Vibrance, and Saturation. Messed with the Tone sliders, HSL sliders, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and Post Crop Vignetting. If you use LR and want to duplicate it with your raw file let me know and I'll post the numbers.

After tweaking a photo in the evening I should look at it the next day and in different light before posting though. May have gone too far in some respects.