Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:51 PM   #1

Default Playing w/ Panning

Version 2 of the firmware added a new Panning Scene Mode. I've been wanting to try it out and the Salem Riverfront Carousel seemed as good a place as any to get started. First; once it was up to speed it was constant and predictable. Second; great color. I did discover the horses that went up-and-down as they went round-and-round are trickier than the ones fixed to the floor.

I'm not sure what the Panning Scene Mode adds that you couldn't do in settings yourself. It just seemed like the quick route without a lot of experimentation.
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:57 AM   #2

A very interesting series; I like the effect of one sharp horse and the rest in obvious motion. It gives a feeling of energy behind the main subject horse. My personal favorite is shot #4; I like the composition that you chose for that one.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:55 PM   #3

Wow those came out well for your first crack at it. At first I thought you have done similar shots with the chair swings, but then realized in these you are stationary. This would be a very good feature for Oregon...Go to Bend and photograph some mountain bikers.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:04 AM   #4

Some very effective images in this set, all good but no 3 I like due to the posture of the horses head being razor sharp heading for a sea of confusion, it's as if it's pulling up being unsure of what's ahead, nice one Alan.
John Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
A very interesting series; ..... My personal favorite is shot #4; I like the composition that you chose for that one.
Thanks Steven- That was one of the horses fixed to the floor so easier to grab and keep in focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
.......... This would be a very good feature for Oregon...Go to Bend and photograph some mountain bikers.
Thanks Drew- That's the plan. With the the carousel it was about a 30% hit rate. Can't imaging what it would be with the mountain bikers. Good thing film is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dixon View Post
Some very effective images in this set, all good but no 3 I like due to the posture of the horses head being razor sharp heading for a sea of confusion, it's as if it's pulling up being unsure of what's ahead, nice one Alan.
Thanks John- That one turned out to be my favorite also. Funny thing is, it's a tight crop of a "missed" image headed for the recycle bin. Now if I can only reproduce it on purpose.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:53 PM   #6

Very nice set Alan,

Love the colors and the panning effect, low speed shots is something I didn't have chance to explore.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote