Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:03 AM   #1

Default I might be crazy cause I just bought an E-P2

So I've been finding that I just don't feel comfortable putting the E-M1 into my laptop bag like I would have with the E-PL2. The grip on the E-M1 makes it too big to fit nicely and not have me worried about it getting banged up. There have also been a few occasions where I just didn't feel like having the attention the much more DSLR like E-M1 tends to draw.... So I found myself watching ebay auctions looking for a good deal on a PEN body to throw the 14mm pancake on and put into my laptop bag as a "have with me always" camera.

After searching and watching several E-PM2 and E-PL5s go way outside my budget, last night I found an auction for a barely used E-P2 with leather half case and VF-2. The seller stated he had bought the camera as a second camera to his medium frame digital to be used as a "stealth" walk about camera. He was also selling a 20mm f1.7 and a 45mm f1.8 with BH filters. When I heard that I knew it had been taken care of so I put in a best offer of $190 for the E-P2 and VF-2 with the leather half case. Assuming it all checks out I plan to sell the VF-2 and just keep the body, figuring a VF-2 is worth $145 by itself the cost of the body becomes negligible for a second camera.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:13 AM   #2

...dang! I'll bet the P2 fits your need/want perfectly. I use and like my P3, especially with the VF-2; it fits every storage/carry bag I have.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:47 AM   #3

Good deal! Expect more like 120 for the VF2 these days, though . . . the VF4 has gone down in price and people are moving up.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Quite a steal, price-wise. It's good having a smaller, less high-end looking option over the E-M1 when you need it, or want to get a camera and small lens into an event where security might possibly say no to an E-M1.

I've pretty much replaced my E-P3 for that job with the Panasonic GX7, which I am using a lot these days alternately with the E-M1 since the shadow-raising performance is just as nice as the E-M1. I also like the way the built-in finder can be articulated just like I used to do with the VF-2 on the E-P3.

The older, pre-16MP sensor bodies don't give you a lot of leeway when it comes to ugly, blotchy shadow noise if you are exposing for highlights and raising shadow values to taste like I am always doing with subjects such as this..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Congrats on what sounds like a good deal; especially if you recoup some of the money by selling the VF-2. Having a compact back-up to carry around sounds like a good idea to me.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:26 PM   #6

Congrats on the heck of a deal you got on a " GO Any where Camera "
A steal even before you sell the VF-2
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:08 PM   #7

I would think an Em-5 would be a good smaller camera, since it doesn't have that grip? I wonder what the going rate is for one on ebay or refurb with an Olympus sale? I've been meaning to buy my mom one to replace her Epl1.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:35 PM   #8

Well thanks everyone for confirming that I might be crazy but no more so than the rest of us gear nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
...dang! I'll bet the P2 fits your need/want perfectly. I use and like my P3, especially with the VF-2; it fits every storage/carry bag I have.
Thanks Bob, yeah I'm thinking it will fit the bill perfectly for a second camera. Since this isn't going to break the bank I'll still have room for something else for x-mas, been really thinking hard about scooping up a Zuiko 50-200mm, now that the 40-150 pro is out I figure there should be a few 50-200mm ones coming on the market. I'm really impressed with what I am seeing from others using this lens on their E-M1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Good deal! Expect more like 120 for the VF2 these days, though . . . the VF4 has gone down in price and people are moving up.
good to know, I checked ebay and saw some recent solds around $145, seems it is cyclical, one day they're all going for cheap then it seems the refurbished stock runs out and the price spikes a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Quite a steal, price-wise. It's good having a smaller, less high-end looking option over the E-M1 when you need it, or want to get a camera and small lens into an event where security might possibly say no to an E-M1.

I've pretty much replaced my E-P3 for that job with the Panasonic GX7, which I am using a lot these days alternately with the E-M1 since the shadow-raising performance is just as nice as the E-M1. I also like the way the built-in finder can be articulated just like I used to do with the VF-2 on the E-P3.

The older, pre-16MP sensor bodies don't give you a lot of leeway when it comes to ugly, blotchy shadow noise if you are exposing for highlights and raising shadow values to taste like I am always doing with subjects such as this..

Ah if only a GX7 was in my budget Greg I would have gone for one, it's a sweet little camera and I know a lot of people have wanted a more rangefinder like corner EVF for a while, I hope they don't kill that line and I can snag one of those in a few years when they've moved onto the GX9 or whatever it may be.

I saw a friend at a recent concert sporting a GM1 with the Olympus 45mm f1.8, he said they never give him a second look when he goes through security but he's able to pull great shots with the setup or if he's further away the Olympus 75mm f1.8.

BTW that's some nice shadow detail by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Congrats on what sounds like a good deal; especially if you recoup some of the money by selling the VF-2. Having a compact back-up to carry around sounds like a good idea to me.
thanks Steven, you know shortly after I bought the E-M1 I gave my teen daughter the E-PL2. Well she managed to love it for about 1.5 months and dropped it and broke a few of the pins at the mount on the body as well as the mount plate on the kit lens. I felt really bad and helped her sell the pieces for parts and a few other odds and ends she had that she didn't need to raise some money and was able to find her a real sweet E-PL3 with extra battery, kit lens and the 15mm f8 bodycap lens for about $150. I sold off the bodycap lens for $40 and with the other stuff she sold she was able to get a real cherry E-PL3 for $110, I mean the kit lens and the LCD still had plastic on it. While I was happy for her I was also a bit jealous and surprised at how inexpensive it was to pick up one of the PENs with the older 12 MP sensor. That kinda started me on the search too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Congrats on the heck of a deal you got on a " GO Any where Camera "
A steal even before you sell the VF-2
thanks fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I would think an Em-5 would be a good smaller camera, since it doesn't have that grip? I wonder what the going rate is for one on ebay or refurb with an Olympus sale? I've been meaning to buy my mom one to replace her Epl1.
yeah I would have loved an E-M5 or E-M10 but they're still fetching $350 used for a body or $624 for a refurbished body ($499 on black friday).... so I ruled that out early on. I considered going for a refurbished e-pm2 with the two lens kit for $319 and selling the lenses, but I'd probably want to keep the 40-150mm and the 14-42 kit lens is hardly sell-able right now, even though sometimes it goes for a steady $75-90 there seems to be a glut of them on ebay and I just watched one end with no bids at $40, so that didn't seem prudent.

Last edited by ramcewan; Nov 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:00 PM   #9

350 is still a lot. I'll wait a bit longer, and wait til I buy myself a better zoom, because I would probably give her the 12-50 as well.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Sammy .... did you play MLB .. Pirates??

Just curious, I don't mean to impose.

Thanks, Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 16, 2014 at 7:19 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote