Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:36 AM   #11

Well, heck. Here I was thinking this would be straight forward Paradox of choice I guess. I'm leaning toward the 12-40 now, all I have to figure out is how to sell the extra $250 to my wife

On a slightly different topic, I also need to pick up an extra battery. What's the opinion of the off brand batteries, as the Olympus batteries seem a bit pricey.

Thanks for all the replies!
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
Well, heck. Here I was thinking this would be straight forward Paradox of choice I guess. I'm leaning toward the 12-40 now, all I have to figure out is how to sell the extra $250 to my wife

On a slightly different topic, I also need to pick up an extra battery. What's the opinion of the off brand batteries, as the Olympus batteries seem a bit pricey.

Thanks for all the replies!
In addition to Oly batteries, I have several Wasabi batteries, and they perform similiar to Oly for a lot less money. They are available on both Amazon and e-bay.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
In addition to Oly batteries, I have several Wasabi batteries, and they perform similiar to Oly for a lot less money. They are available on both Amazon and e-bay.
I found wasabi batteries to not last more than a year or two. I bought a double pack with charger, one died within a year, they replaced it for free but the following year the other one and the replacement both failed.

There was a recent flickr thread on the subject that might be worth a read, lenmar and maximal power were mentioned as being a step above the rest of the third party but the general consensus was the third party batteries work but aren't as good as oem, but considering the cost worth it.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/olympu...7636196816115/
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I found wasabi batteries to not last more than a year or two.
I second that. I've only tried Wasabi and Progo. It didn't take long before my Wasabi battery would actually swell-up to the point it wouldn't fit easily in the battery compartment. Once I had to take the sharp point of a knife and pry the Wasabi out. Never again. Have not had such issues with Progo but you never know. I would doubt few of the 3rd party battery sellers have their own factory. They likely contract with manufacturers to produce a battery with their name on it. The buyer can specify to what specs they want their battery made and some may be better than others. But if they don't produce the battery themselves they don't have control of the daily operations that can effect quality.

Last edited by chiPersei; Nov 20, 2014 at 4:58 PM.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:17 PM   #15

That is kinda troubling to hear about your problems with Wasabi batteries. I currently have two for my E-3 that I have had for 3 years that I still use regularly. The only difference, now that they are older, is that they do not last quite as long between re-charges; but neither do my Oly batteries which are also old. In fact, I have 5 Oly batteries, two of which eventually failed completely after about 3 years of use. They just refuse to charge at all.

I first learned about Wasabi batteries from other forums where a lot of members had high praise for the cost-to value ratio. I guess with any product there are good ones and lemons.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:24 PM   #16

Yeah idk the wasabi batteries were highly praised which is why I bought them but they just didn't last. Sometimes companies build a rep and then cut corners relying on the rep to keep selling, maybe they'll get back to putting out decent stuff, but I wouldn't buy them again.

Chipersei, when they swell that's a bad sign, I have heard of them actually bursting sometimes violently! I have had a few cell phone batteries swell and I always stop using them immediately.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:43 PM   #17

Ok, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 12-40 from ramcewan's ebay link from Japan. The tone in which my wife said, "Yes, you can buy a lens" makes me think it's going to end up costing more than the $735 though

ramcewan, you said you've had things shipped from Japan before? Any pitfalls?

Interesting comments about the batteries. Looks like very much a feeling of hit or miss QC. Still, for the price, they're hard to pass up. I may take a look at the lenmar or maximal in addition to the wasabi.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:32 PM   #18

Just an FYI, KEH has a 12-40 rated in EX condition for only $728 without the lens hood. KEH is an excellent company to consider using when buying used equipment.

https://www.keh.com/363183/olympus-1...irds-system-62
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Just an FYI, KEH has a 12-40 rated in EX condition for only $728 without the lens hood. KEH is an excellent company to consider using when buying used equipment.

https://www.keh.com/363183/olympus-1...irds-system-62
That's a good price for sure and a hood won't be that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
Ok, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 12-40 from ramcewan's ebay link from Japan. The tone in which my wife said, "Yes, you can buy a lens" makes me think it's going to end up costing more than the $735 though

ramcewan, you said you've had things shipped from Japan before? Any pitfalls?
First off congratulations on the purchase decision! As for ordering from Japan I did not experience any problems except that it took a few weeks as I remember from when I ordered the Lumix 14mm f2.5 and when it arrived. It was however consistent with what was quoted on the seller's listing. Right now it looks like the seller is saying delivery from Japan will be 12/2-12/9, a solid two weeks. I would expect it to be on the tail end of that window. Hopefully that fits your needs, if not maybe consider the KEH listing that Steven linked.

There is one other opportunity on the horizon which may or may not occur... Last year Olympus had a 25% off refurbished gear sale via emailed code on black Friday. Since then they have had other 20% off refurbished gear sales, in fact I got my E-M1 at the memorial day sale. The 12-40 is $639 refurbished but never in stock. From prior years experience I have seen them add a bunch of refurbished stock right before announcing the sale. If you are willing to roll the dice and will be in front of a computer black Friday morning you might just score a refurbished 12-40 for a real deal.... but be forewarned you'll have to be one of the first to the store after the email comes out and you will have me to compete with
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
That's a good price for sure and a hood won't be that much.

First off congratulations on the purchase decision! As for ordering from Japan I did not experience any problems except that it took a few weeks as I remember from when I ordered the Lumix 14mm f2.5 and when it arrived. It was however consistent with what was quoted on the seller's listing. Right now it looks like the seller is saying delivery from Japan will be 12/2-12/9, a solid two weeks. I would expect it to be on the tail end of that window. Hopefully that fits your needs, if not maybe consider the KEH listing that Steven linked.

There is one other opportunity on the horizon which may or may not occur... Last year Olympus had a 25% off refurbished gear sale via emailed code on black Friday. Since then they have had other 20% off refurbished gear sales, in fact I got my E-M1 at the memorial day sale. The 12-40 is $639 refurbished but never in stock. From prior years experience I have seen them add a bunch of refurbished stock right before announcing the sale. If you are willing to roll the dice and will be in front of a computer black Friday morning you might just score a refurbished 12-40 for a real deal.... but be forewarned you'll have to be one of the first to the store after the email comes out and you will have me to compete with
The refurb sounds like it's worth a try. I signed up for the email deals, and I already have 5% off if they don't send the other one. If it doesn't work out, the ebay guy seems to have rolling stock. KEH looks good too if all else fails. Good to have options.