Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
I second that. I've only tried Wasabi and Progo. It didn't take long before my Wasabi battery would actually swell-up to the point it wouldn't fit easily in the battery compartment. Once I had to take the sharp point of a knife and pry the Wasabi out. Never again. Have not had such issues with Progo but you never know. I would doubt few of the 3rd party battery sellers have their own factory. They likely contract with manufacturers to produce a battery with their name on it. The buyer can specify to what specs they want their battery made and some may be better than others. But if they don't produce the battery themselves they don't have control of the daily operations that can effect quality.

Really? I've had 5 batteries--2 Wasabi, 1 Maximal Power and 2 OEM (my old EPL2 took the same batteries as my new camera). I've had one one of those batteries go bad, and it was my original Olympus one. I guess I've either been lucky or unlucky depending on how you view it.

I've never done any scientific test or anything, but my impression is that I get maybe 15-20% fewer shots out of one of the generic batteries. But considering the price it's worth it as long as you remember to keep a spare in the pocket.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post

. . .

There is one other opportunity on the horizon which may or may not occur... Last year Olympus had a 25% off refurbished gear sale via emailed code on black Friday. Since then they have had other 20% off refurbished gear sales, in fact I got my E-M1 at the memorial day sale. The 12-40 is $639 refurbished but never in stock. From prior years experience I have seen them add a bunch of refurbished stock right before announcing the sale. If you are willing to roll the dice and will be in front of a computer black Friday morning you might just score a refurbished 12-40 for a real deal.... but be forewarned you'll have to be one of the first to the store after the email comes out and you will have me to compete with
Wow, you weren't kidding about never being in stock. So here's the saga of me getting the 12-40. I was all set to do the Japanese import from ebay, except it was out of stock. That particular seller seemed to rotate stock, so I was going to wait until it came back around at the $725 price as most of the other similar sellers seemed to be a little higher than him. In the meantime, I checked on some of the auctions of used 12-40's and didn't win. KEH had some rotate through too, although mostly at the $822 level. Oh, and ended up the target of a phisher from Amazon when I inquired about a listing that was too good to be true (should have known better).

The Japanese seller had some at $699 that came around and I was waiting until I lost out on the bids I had open in ebay before going that route. I checked one more time today for the Olympus refurbs and it went from 4 items to 14 including the 12-40. I jumped on it quick, but as soon as I hit "add to cart" I got "sorry item no longer in stock" . I tried refresh, different linking, whatever, but no joy. Decided to get some lunch, and check back. It worked! The cyber Monday code didn't work (didn't expect it to), but my 5% I had for signing up did, so $607 + tax (free 2 day shipping).

If I was thinking I should have grabbed 2 and I could have made sure you got one ramcewan, but I was just glad I was able to snag it as it was.

Phew! Now I need to get the batteries.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:07 PM   #23

I think we should just pool money together on this forum next time someone buys a new OM camera. Have them purchase the lenses for us at a 200 discount. No?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:08 PM   #24

I'm sure people are doing this on Ebay right now. Buying 4000 dollars worth of gear on sale and then parting it out and trying to profit off the lenses. I'm not sure the margins are high enough, but you could probably make 10 percent of your investment on a big kit.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
Wow, you weren't kidding about never being in stock. So here's the saga of me getting the 12-40. I was all set to do the Japanese import from ebay, except it was out of stock. That particular seller seemed to rotate stock, so I was going to wait until it came back around at the $725 price as most of the other similar sellers seemed to be a little higher than him. In the meantime, I checked on some of the auctions of used 12-40's and didn't win. KEH had some rotate through too, although mostly at the $822 level. Oh, and ended up the target of a phisher from Amazon when I inquired about a listing that was too good to be true (should have known better).

The Japanese seller had some at $699 that came around and I was waiting until I lost out on the bids I had open in ebay before going that route. I checked one more time today for the Olympus refurbs and it went from 4 items to 14 including the 12-40. I jumped on it quick, but as soon as I hit "add to cart" I got "sorry item no longer in stock" . I tried refresh, different linking, whatever, but no joy. Decided to get some lunch, and check back. It worked! The cyber Monday code didn't work (didn't expect it to), but my 5% I had for signing up did, so $607 + tax (free 2 day shipping).

If I was thinking I should have grabbed 2 and I could have made sure you got one ramcewan, but I was just glad I was able to snag it as it was.

Phew! Now I need to get the batteries.
Hey Congrats! that's a superb deal even if you didn't get the 25% off. I thank you for thinking of me but I'm glad you didn't grab one because I need new tires for my car and buying such an expensive new lens right now isn't a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I'm sure people are doing this on Ebay right now. Buying 4000 dollars worth of gear on sale and then parting it out and trying to profit off the lenses. I'm not sure the margins are high enough, but you could probably make 10 percent of your investment on a big kit.
Yeah I would bet a few of the ones on ebay that come sans box are from the kits... hey I say more power to them!

I'm not above parting out stuff for profit or to lower the cost of what I buy. I was pretty successful doing this with manual lenses purchased in lots with old film cameras.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post

You had me on the edge of my seat.

I'm really glad you got it. It will become your go-to lens in no time.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
You had me on the edge of my seat.

I'm really glad you got it. It will become your go-to lens in no time.
It's here! The really fun part was that when I was going to work yesterday morning, I saw the reason traffic was backed up was because the FedEx semi had wrecked. I was like "I hope my lens wasn't in there"

I think a lot of the ones on ebay were parted out kit. Most were up front about it. I suppose you can make money at it, but I think it would be too much of a commitment for me to make it work.

I've only done some test shots, but the final reason that sold me on this particular lens was the closeup capabilities. chiPersei, I think you're right that this will become my go-to lens.

Some poinsettias around the house.

Seeds on a tree/bush

With a 10mm extension tube (need to work on a lighting rig I suppose).

Yes, this is going to be fun
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote