Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Yeah, people love and swear by the EP5 but I don't get it myself. If I pay a thousand dollars or whatever for a camera it better come with a built-in eyehole.
I think most EP5's were sold as a kit with the VF-4 and 17mm f1.8, upon release this was a $1500 kit. I believe you can get it now for $1200. Considering an E-M10 plus a 17mm f1.8 will set you back around $1,050-1,100 and that doesn't include the 5-axis stabilization or the 1/8000 shutter speed of the EP5 nor the higher resolution of the VF4, the EP5 kit isn't really a bad deal. You get the same features in terms of IBIS, shutter and EVF resolution as the EM1 but in a rangefinder package. To some this is worth every penny, especially to those who want to shoot with the 12/17/25/45/75 prime package Olympus has provided, it becomes a real street shooter's camera with the super fast shutter.

The E-M5 replacement is rumored to be announced this February, so no real surprise with the $599 body only price ($400 off original MSRP) and the rumored end to production. The new E-M5 will likely have a better EVF, 4k video, WiFi, and some sort of hybrid PDAF/CDAF system. I have a gut feeling it will not be backwards compatible with the 4/3 lenses since they require PDAF-only mode, but will instead use a hybrid system that is full time PDAF/CDAF to achieve faster focus with better tracking like we see in the Sony A6000.

The E-PM line is dead though, which is a shame. I just picked up an E-PM2 body with 6000 shutter actuations for around $150 to use as a second camera to my E-M1. While it does have an all plasticy-chintzy feel it is a nice little package and quite usable once you accept the touch screen, which is something not too hard for us smartphone people. I think it was just priced too high on release to sell like they hoped. The problem is when a little more $$ will buy you something with a tilting touch screen and more solid construction like the E-PL5 it is a hard sell for the E-PM2. Honestly if I was only going to use one camera the E-PM2 would be completely ruled out, but as a second small, stealth, always with me camera the E-PM2 is perfect. Looking at how well the GM1 is doing one wonders if the E-PM line failed not because it was a bad idea to have a really small camera but because they made it to chintzy in the process.

I'm thinking we may still see a need for an P-L and a E-P line as there is room for both, I'm not sure I agree that the E-P should adopt a GX7-like EVF but I am sure it would go a long way to differentiate the E-P and make a lot of people happy, so we may well see one. On the other hand I think the GX7 has a bit of a sticker shock associated to it that makes some look elsewhere. Marketing wise it is somewhat shrewd to sell an E-P at a lower price point, full well knowing that people will end up coming back to buy an external EVF even when it equals a higher overall price than the GX7. It's the classic foot in the door approach, get them to buy the camera body over a higher priced GX7 only to realize more profit when you sell them an EVF. I know when I bought my E-PL2 I saw it as cheaper than the GH series DSLR like Panasonics that came with an EVF, only to find myself shelling out $175 for a VF-2 within two months of buying the E-PL2... lol they got us figured out for sure

Anyways just my late night musings.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:02 PM   #12

So, I picked up the kit ramcewan talks about last year. There was a sale at the time, and I think it ended up around 1200-1300 for the VF-4 and the 17mm 1.8 along with the body. My progression of cameras came from an Olympus PnS to the EPL-1 then finally to the EP5. I didn't have a view finder with the EPL-1 but as promised by you guys when I bought the EP5 with the VF-4, I like it a lot. The next body, I will probably get a built in view finder. At least from my viewpoint the progression from EPL -> EP -> OM seems natural. I don't know if that is what Olympus is aiming for or if they're just throwing stuff out to see what sticks, and is now in pare down mode. All in all, I haven't regretted my purchases, but like all other electronics, there's always something better, and next month will have something better yet.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
So, I picked up the kit ramcewan talks about last year. There was a sale at the time, and I think it ended up around 1200-1300 for the VF-4 and the 17mm 1.8 along with the body. My progression of cameras came from an Olympus PnS to the EPL-1 then finally to the EP5. I didn't have a view finder with the EPL-1 but as promised by you guys when I bought the EP5 with the VF-4, I like it a lot. The next body, I will probably get a built in view finder. At least from my viewpoint the progression from EPL -> EP -> OM seems natural. I don't know if that is what Olympus is aiming for or if they're just throwing stuff out to see what sticks, and is now in pare down mode. All in all, I haven't regretted my purchases, but like all other electronics, there's always something better, and next month will have something better yet.
Yeah it's a great camera, in some ways better than the OMs . . . it's just that "for me" I had the VF on my EPL2 all the time--so instead of making the total package more convenient it actually made it bulkier.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote