Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:26 AM   #1

Default Olympus OI Share & manual focus OM-D E-M1

I'm in a spot on the planet with very dark sky's this week, and was hoping to use the E-M1 and my android tablet for some nightscapes.
In principal it's not difficult. The camera connects to the tablet just fine and the tablet screen shows a brighter live view than the back LCD. You select manual mode in OI Share, Live Time, set iso, F number , and manual focus while looking at the tablet. Only to find that OI Share app overrides the cameras MF setting and switches the camera back to AF when you start the shot, then tries to refocus (badly).
It appears to me currently that OI Share won't allow manual focusing.
Can anyone confirm this ?
Cheers,
Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM   #2

I did some searching and tested and yes the OI share app does not allow for manual focus

Not sure if you can manual focus the camera first and then lock the focus but I'm betting you can't
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:03 PM   #3

OK thanks for verifying my result.
You are right, even if the camera is set to manual focus and the lens preset before linking to the app, it seems to override it back to AF as soon as a image is triggered (from OI Share).

In my case the lens was a Oly 4/3 12-60mm SWD. It has no 'manual' button that might help either.

This lack of MF is a blockage to be able to using OI Share for night Photography...

How can we suggest to Oly that it's a bad thing ?
Martin
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:15 PM   #4

You can contact support, I have found them to be very receptive to inquiry, that doesn't mean they won't still say no, but at least they will explore it and maybe if enough people ask make an update to the app.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:57 AM   #5

Using the 12-40 I can manually focus by using the focus ring on the lens while looking at the tablet (in Live View mode), trip the shutter from OI Share and expose without auto focus kicking in. To convince myself I intentionally threw the camera way out of focus, tripped from OI Share, and got a blurry photos. So in this case the OI share is not trying to auto focus prior to exposing. hummm??? Didn't seem to matter if the lens clutch was used or not.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Using the 12-40 I can manually focus by using the focus ring on the lens while looking at the tablet (in Live View mode), trip the shutter from OI Share and expose without auto focus kicking in.
Yes what I'm doing is the same, but for using a 4/3 lens via a genuine m4/3 converter, instead of a native m4/3 lens.
Did you use Live Time or Live Bulb in Live View on the tablet with manual focus ?

The 12-60mm SWD doesn't have a locking focus ring, just the normal electronic and mechanically clutched ring.

I have an Oly 50-200mm F2.8 4/3 lens I could test as well, but no native m4/3 lenses to try.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
Y
Did you use Live Time or Live Bulb in Live View on the tablet with manual focus ?
Ahhh. That's what I was missing. In Live Bulb it won't Auto Focus. In Live Time there is no way I can find to keep it from auto focusing. Weird. If you find the OI Share/Olympus support page for posting suggestions link it here. If all the OI Share users who read this on Steve's complain (er, suggest an improvement) Oly just might listen.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Ahhh. That's what I was missing. In Live Bulb it won't Auto Focus. In Live Time there is no way I can find to keep it from auto focusing. Weird. If you find the OI Share/Olympus support page for posting suggestions link it here. If all the OI Share users who read this on Steve's complain (er, suggest an improvement) Oly just might listen.
Oh oh, I smell a bug some place. I retested both Live Bulb and then Live Time in MF again, and today they BOTH stay in MF this time. This was NOT what happened yesterday.
I tried a couple of things like changing modes on the camera without restarting the OI Share app (just re-link), but I can not make it fail (go AF) today...
Hmm.
Martin