Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:35 PM   #1

Default New Toy

Well here's my new toy the E-PM2

E-PM2 and 14mm Lumix by ramcewan, on Flickr

As you can see with the 14mm f2.5 it is quite small

E-PM2 and 14mm Lumix by ramcewan, on Flickr

The seller included a set of Aki-Asahi leather grip pieces for the E-PM2, they looked pretty good quality leather and Aki-Asahi has a decent reputation so I put them on, I think it adds nicely to this little camera and makes it a bit less plasticy

E-PM2 Leathered by ramcewan, on Flickr

It consists of the two front pieces and one for the back, I like how it looks against the silver and it feels much nicer in hand now.

E-PM2 backside leathered by ramcewan, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:04 PM   #2

I love new toys and that one looks like a lot of fun.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:25 PM   #3

A nice looking package, but I'm not sure if I could go back to non-dial controls.

edit--still, i guess with something like the 14 there's nothing wrong with just setting it to f8 or even just going program or auto.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Nov 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:56 PM   #4

That is a really neat and compact package. I can see how that would be a super take-anywhere pocket camera.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
A nice looking package, but I'm not sure if I could go back to non-dial controls.

edit--still, i guess with something like the 14 there's nothing wrong with just setting it to f8 or even just going program or auto.
I'm actually finding it fairly easy to do things with the touchscreen and the back wheel. It is easy to hold with my right hand and thumb on the wheel and use my left index finger to operate the touch screen and I can quickly change settings. That said you really aren't going to be easily changing more than one thing while shooting, i.e. if in shutter mode you can quickly change speed using the wheel or in aperture mode you can change the aperture with the wheel.

For what I plan to do with this camera I think that will be enough, I still have the E-M1 for when I want to get serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
I love new toys and that one looks like a lot of fun.
Haven't gotten to play much with it yet, but it is fun to use it like a P&S with the touch to focus and shoot mode. I have however already started to consider some primes for it thinking the Lumix 20mm f1.7 but also strongly considering the M. Zuiko 25mm f1.8. I also played around with the focus peaking "hack" which uses one of the art filter to provide a focus peaking affect, if you shoot RAW+JPEG the JPEG will have the art filter applied but the RAW will remain unaffected. I'm considering picking up an Russian M39 Jupiter-8 or Helios 44. I had a Jupiter-8 but sold it off and kind of miss it. Being made for the Russian Leica copies (Zenit, FED) using stolen pre-war Zeiss optical designs these lenses have short register distance, look fantastic and are pretty sharp.

oly_14-42_v_jupiter8_m39 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Jupiter 8 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
That is a really neat and compact package. I can see how that would be a super take-anywhere pocket camera.
Yep that's the idea, in fact it's in my laptop bag today, maybe I'll get some first snow shots on the way home...lol