Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:44 PM   #1

Default Preparing for 40-150 Pro

For several years I've enjoyed using the inexpensive and lightweight (2.5 lb) Manfrotto MKC3-H01 tripod with lightweight m43 gear. It's got some neat features such as pistol grip and a thumbwheel to quickly lock the camera in place after composing an image. Its 3.3 lb capacity was fine for my EM1 and lens combos with only the 100-300 pushing the limit. I made a custom 3 second shutter timer because the standard 2 seconds was not quite enough time to dampen the 100-300 after pressing the shutter.

Well, the 40-150 Pro on order weighs up to 1.94 lbs (with tripod collar) which is a bit heavier than the 100-300 at 1.15 lbs. As much as I love my little tripod I know its 3.3 lb capacity isn't up to the task. I did a little research into other brands but frankly I've become partial to Manfrotto like I am partial to Oly. Wanting something small and light I ordered the $200, 3.1 lb aluminum version of the Manfrotto BeFree. After mounting the EM1 on the BeFree panic set in. The extra 8-9 oz weight of the Aluminum BeFree (as little as that sounds) was very apparent. I noticed additional strain on my wrist when quickly lifting, turning, tipping, spinning or otherwise quickly repositioning the tripod with camera. I wasn't expecting that. I also wasn't expecting to spend $350 on the Carbon Fiber version of the BeFree but Amazon made it easy and free (they paid return shipping for my mistake) to swap them out. What a relief. The Carbon Fiber version at 2.2 lbs weighs less than the MKC3-H01 I started with. Amazing considering the BeFree almost triples the capacity to 8.8 lbs. Likely more than I'll ever mount on it. Fully extended it's a bit shorter than the MKC3-H01. Having said that, I rarely extended the center column on the MKC3-H01 so I don't think I'll miss it.

Anyway, the additional weight of the 40-150 paired with the lighter carbon fiber BeFree keeps me in my comfort zone. True, I didn't plan to spend that much but I'm the kind of guy who uses this stuff for years.
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:51 PM   #2

I rarely use a tripod, but that looks like an excellent piece of equipment. It should serve you well.

FYI: there was a recent article this week that demand for the 40-150 Pro lens was much, much greater than Oly projections, and the factory is running behind. They have pushed the delivery date by a month from Jan. 2015 to Feb. 2015.

"......The amount of 40-150mm PRO lens preorders exceeded by far Olympus estimations. And Olympus cannot increase the production of that lens. Stores ordering larger Stock of lenses today will get their Stock in…February only!..."
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
FYI: there was a recent article this week that demand for the 40-150 Pro lens was much, much greater than Oly projections, and the factory is running behind. They have pushed the delivery date by a month from Jan. 2015 to Feb. 2015.

"......The amount of 40-150mm PRO lens preorders exceeded by far Olympus estimations. And Olympus cannot increase the production of that lens. Stores ordering larger Stock of lenses today will get their Stock in…February only!..."
That's what they say and I struggle to understand that. If Oly had an original delivery date set in November based on their estimated number of units, that estimated number of units should be shipping in November. Orders beyond their estimated numbers ought to be back-ordered. Why make everyone wait and forgo current revenue? Even if I don't get one of the early units I'd like to see more photo results posted from a larger number of amateurs. Oh well, such is the nature of business.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:00 PM   #4

Still no word on any of the units Arlington Camera ordered for their pre-orders. I'm quietly (and very disappointed in) figuring it could be February, if I'm lucky....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Still no word on any of the units Arlington Camera ordered for their pre-orders. I'm quietly (and very disappointed in) figuring it could be February, if I'm lucky....
I was making a pest of myself at The Shutterbug camera store in Salem. They were nice about it but basically said 'Don't call us, we'll call you.'
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:01 AM   #6

Quote:
I saw Gil & Mrs Johnson yesterday at Photo Expo (Arlingon Convention Center, the show sponsored by AC). I did not ask about the lens ... other than say to Gil 'something' about reading the Feb ship rumor, he did not say anything about it.

I would believe the rumor should probably read 'new store(s) orders' after a certain order date may not ship until the Jan-Feb time frame. That then would keep many of us happy.

BTW,,,, I had hoped to 'touch' a 40-150 at the show but the one vendor not present was Olympus. I made a couple quick rounds of the floor, saw some friends there and came home.

Alan, your tripod is a 'looker' too, I saw one like it at the show yesterday. Love my CF, I have a SLIK PRO 823 CF with a Vanguard SBH-100 head.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 25, 2014 at 7:40 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:07 PM   #7

nice new tripod...

while you guys are getting ready for your 40-150s I'm getting ready to find a 50-200, seems I may have to wait until February for the new 40-150 owners to really start selling off their 50-200s
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:00 PM   #8

Very nice tripod Alan, 3 lbs is for the tripod and head is not bad.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:22 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I'm excited to try it. It's been freezing a** cold here and I've been buried at work so haven't gone out for awhile. This weekend I'm going to Seattle and hope to break it in.