Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:10 PM   #11

Beautiful set Alan, I don't mind the settings you used but in my screen the pictures looks very nice.

It is a very interesting place and I wonder how the light contamination there makes possible to shoot the milky way.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
One of the neat spots up there is the Dee Wright Observatory. It's a lava rock structure built during the Great Depression by a Civilian Conservation Corps crew.
Both of these are nice but the composition on the last one is just superb with the three windows showing the skyline behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Guess I'm just frustrated with the skies on some of them.
Several of these other ones are crying out to be worked using graduated filters or layers to pull the most out of the foreground and sky. With such a difference in color and brightness between the sky and the ground it will be hard to balance adjustments to the whole image, cropping some to panoramic format might also help to accentuate the vastness of the lava field.

I hope you don't mind I took the liberty of playing a bit with your first image, cropping, adding in a graduated filter from top down to adjust exposure on the sky, and then selectively enhancing contrast and exposure on the distant mountain and foreground with the brush in LR.
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Beautiful set Alan, I don't mind the settings you used but in my screen the pictures looks very nice.

It is a very interesting place and I wonder how the light contamination there makes possible to shoot the milky way.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
Thanks Marcelo. It is quite an interesting place and there is much more to see in the area. It is indeed a perfect spot for milky way photos. I didn't get around to it but I've seen some. It has the darkness and also the high thin air contributes to steady skies.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 AM   #14

Thanks ramcewan. even though I'm out of town looking at it on my dinky tablet I can tell it looks much better already. I appreciate your insight. I'll have to revisit these when I get back home. Thanks again.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote