Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:31 AM   #1

Default Seattle at Night from the Needle

Short jaunt to Seattle just for play. Did the Needle, Chihuly Glass (will post some later), and Pikes. Here are a few from the Needle. All are single frame shots except the third is a two image HDR. All using the EM1, 12-40 Pro at ISO 200 except the 1st one of the needle was ISO 3200.

Tried my new travel tripod, the Manfrotto BeFree Carbon Fiber. Love it. It's light but solid for the weight of our gear. Also, it was chilly up there and I found the carbon fiber is much warmer to the touch than my old aluminum tripod.
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:56 AM   #2

The Needle is iconic. I've seen many images of it from the base and this one's as good or better than most. Love night shots like these.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:22 AM   #3

This is a very nice group of pictures! We went to Seattle in the summer of 2013 and we loved it ... we will be back

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The Needle is iconic. I've seen many images of it from the base and this one's as good or better than most. Love night shots like these.
Thanks Greg. I really appreciate it. The whole city is an inspiring place to shoot.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
This is a very nice group of pictures! We went to Seattle in the summer of 2013 and we loved it ... we will be back
Thanks folob. I need to get back there more often as well. It's only about a 3.5 hour drive from Salem. My only excuse is I'm more of a country boy and big cities make me feel a little claustrophobic.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:52 PM   #6

Neat set chiPersei, I really like the water scene (#3). I've been to Seattle once for work, unfortunately I never saw the sun once.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:03 PM   #7

I think that every one of those photos are top-notch. I would have a hard time picking a favorite. Colors, details, contrast, composition, etc are all excellent.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:41 PM   #8

A nice set of images of a great city.
It is nearly 40 years since I was in Seattle but I still have fond memories of the place, especially the Comet Tavern
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Neat set chiPersei, I really like the water scene (#3). I've been to Seattle once for work, unfortunately I never saw the sun once.
Sun is hit and miss in Seattle. It pretty much rained the entire drive there and again on the drive home. Not a drop the whole time we were there. Got lucky this time. Thanks for the comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I think that every one of those photos are top-notch. I would have a hard time picking a favorite. Colors, details, contrast, composition, etc are all excellent.
Thanks Steven. I feel a lot better about these than the lava field photos. It's a lot like fishing. If you want to catch a fish you have to have a worm in the water. A little Post Processing doesn't hurt either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkms View Post
A nice set of images of a great city.
It is nearly 40 years since I was in Seattle but I still have fond memories of the place, especially the Comet Tavern
Hey, the Comet is still there! I didn't have the time to stop in but you should feel good it's waiting for your return.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:30 PM   #10

I've never been to Seattle so I really appreciate seeing beautiful photography of the city, especially the night lighted scenes.

These are great, thanks Alan....

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote