Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Chihuly Garden and Glass

This guy sells fruit bowls for $7000.00. That's right. It his gift store on the way out. At least they look like fruit bowls. I was afraid to get too close once I read the "You break it, You buy it" sign. Just kidding. His store is a bit classy for a sign like that but you can't help but think about it.

Whether or not glass is your favorite medium it's hard to argue Chihuly isn't the best. He's got stuff all over the world. This installation at the Seattle Center has been in place about two and a half years. There are both indoor and outdoor displays hence the "Garden" part of the name.

Photos are allowed but it's a bit of a challenge in the dark settings (most walls are painted black) because as you might imagine, no tripods are allowed.
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:03 PM   #2

Hard to choose what to post.
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:48 PM   #3

Couple more I like from the collection.
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:05 AM   #4

You have captured this glassware beautifully Alan, I don't have a favorite, I just like them all and the figures, particularly the young boy give a sense of scale.
I think the price reflects the skill involved in producing such wonderful pieces.
John Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:33 AM   #5

I used one of those 6 inches mini tripod there and this is what I was able to capture:

This is an amazing place. However, I didn't go at night (next time, I'll do it).

Very nice sets BTW !

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Those are all excellent shots of your Chihuly glass sculptures!!

We have a Chihuly museum locally over in St. Petersburg. It is fun to try and photograph the pieces, and I can attest how hard it is to get good shots. But my only question is how come your location sells pieces so cheaply? At ours the prices range up to $35,000+ in the gift shop. (Thy are probably trying to soak the tourists. LOL)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:30 PM   #7

The guy certainly knows his niche. I had fun for the several months the exhibit was at the Arboretum. A few of those pieces look familiar. Beautiful colors and designs.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
I used one of those 6 inches mini tripod there and this is what I was able to capture:

This is an amazing place. However, I didn't go at night (next time, I'll do it).

Very nice sets BTW !
Yours looks better than mine. Next time I'll try the mini tripod trick! Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:01 PM   #9

Just beautiful..!!

Allan you did a great job with your camera capturing those sculptures, love the deep colors and post processing.

Very hard to pick a favorite, all are great shots.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Those are all excellent shots of your Chihuly glass sculptures!!

We have a Chihuly museum locally over in St. Petersburg. It is fun to try and photograph the pieces, and I can attest how hard it is to get good shots.
Thanks Steven. It is indeed a challenge. My friend shoots the Oly XZ-2 and hers in many respects are better images. Even though she could shoot at f1.8 as opposed to my f2.8 her photos were often sharper throughout. Likely due to the smaller sensor. At least that's what I tell her. To be honest her compositions were often better as well. I think it's that "inspiration" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
But my only question is how come your location sells pieces so cheaply? At ours the prices range up to $35,000+ in the gift shop. (Thy are probably trying to soak the tourists. LOL)
Everyone knows those Floridians have lots of cash.