Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:57 PM   #1

Default Night at the Museum

Ok, it wasn't night, but it was freaking dark in there! These are a few I took of the Houston Museum of Natural Science when we went last summer.

I suppose if you were a guard at night, turning the corner to see this might give you pause:

Flying Mastodon

They had an exhibit that had tons of rock formations, but it was all but pitch black except for the light on the display. Took lots of pictures, but I don't really like any of them. I'm heading back the day after Christmas, so if anyone has suggestions to make these more interesting, I'd appreciate it. These were all done with the 17mm 1.8, but I now have the 12-40mm 2.8, so maybe that can help.

Reminds me of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

Take care.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:37 PM   #2

Wow, the teeth on shot #1.

Those are all excellent shots, even considering the poor light that you had to contend with. Well done. I think that I will choose #1 as my favorite just because of the visual impact of the giant sharp teeth.

(By the way, over on the 4/3 thread, as you requested I posted the hints for how I shoot fireworks without a tripod. See if you understand those. And if you need any tips on Disney World just let me know. Also try to get to Epcot and stay for the evening show as those are also spectacular fireworks. )
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 PM   #3

Very nice set of pictures, ZI really like#1.

You did a great job handling highlights and shadows.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Wow, the teeth on shot #1.

Those are all excellent shots, even considering the poor light that you had to contend with. Well done. I think that I will choose #1 as my favorite just because of the visual impact of the giant sharp teeth.

(By the way, over on the 4/3 thread, as you requested I posted the hints for how I shoot fireworks without a tripod. See if you understand those. And if you need any tips on Disney World just let me know. Also try to get to Epcot and stay for the evening show as those are also spectacular fireworks. )
Thanks, for the comment Steven! And for the firework reply too. Yeah, I kept being drawn to that picture, so I thought I'd post it. In addition to the teeth, I think it's the dark eye socket and downward pointing eye ridge giving very much an "angry eyes" look. Sure wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Very nice set of pictures, ZI really like#1.

You did a great job handling highlights and shadows.

Marcelo
Thanks Marcelo! I had the live view set for shadows and highlights, and realized that I wasn't going to eliminate both. I think it was here that I read that getting details from shadows would be easier than blown highlights (not that I'm any great shake at post processing) . Even then, there were going to be hotspots, so I did what I could to minimize them. Thanks again for looking.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Very nice indeed.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Very nice indeed.
Thanks for taking a look, James!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:17 PM   #7

Very nice indeed. I tried taking a photo of a mastodon skeleton at the Smithsonian some years back and it didn't turn out that good. Challenging conditions for sure.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Very nice indeed. I tried taking a photo of a mastodon skeleton at the Smithsonian some years back and it didn't turn out that good. Challenging conditions for sure.
Thanks chiPersei! I just don't remember museums being quite so dark. I swear that some of the exhibits were like walking into a closet at night. I guess I've been going to children's museums which tend to be better lit (and noisier too )