Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:13 PM   #1

Default The MC-14 Is In The House

Drove home from mom's today and made a B-Line for the office where my latest piece was waiting to be unboxed and added to the bag...

Unlike the "regular" M. Zuiko's, Olympus packs some nice extra's with these PRO series lenses, including bags, hoods, etc. The MC-14 comes with a great little pouch, complete with Carabiner so you can attach it to anything you want, from a belt loop to the outside of a smaller bag.

BTW, that extended lens column.....I was VERY careful inserting that into the end of the 40-150/2.8 the first couple of times.

Has its' own, unique front cap you don't want to be losing...

Here the 40-150mm f2.8+MC14 is next to the 75-300mm M. Zuiko and 70-300mm f4-5.6 Four-Thirds Zuiko + Micro adapter, and all zoomed to their maximum focal lengths as a comparison for others to the size of this outfit. With the Four-Thirds 70-300 in one hand and the 40-150mm/2.8 + MC14 in the other, the Micro outfit is heavier, but not by much, at all.

It was late in the day, literally the last hour of daylight, which didn't give me much time to do any serious shooting, but I did stop and do a couple of nothing but the most mundane of shots at 210mm and wide open at f4 just to test the basic image quality of the setup. I may head to White Rock Lake in the morning (it will be cold, relatively speaking, for here) and see what type of Fowl are out and about.

Light was fading and I wanted to keep shutter speeds up to some extent. Here's a nice, boring shot at 210mm, f4 and ISO 1000. I also had to straighten it a little in ACR so there's the slightest of cropping. These lines are something I'll shoot when testing a lens to see how well it resolves the various details. Clicking on this hyperlink will take you to a place where you can view it at 100%..

I had the camera set to ISO 1600 and was shooting manually when this guy flew overheard, Had to back the zoom down to 125mm and had no time to turn the ISO down before shooting. If I were shooting these for real, I would have been using Shutter Speed Priority to set my faster shutter speed, with auto ISO instead, which would have picked something lower than 1600..

The back of General Lee and his assistant at 210mm and f4..

A lot of detail to peruse here, at 210mm and from many yards away at f4 and ISO 1000..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 27, 2014 at 8:34 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:39 PM   #2

Couple of more images from today, doing something I'm not the leading authority shooting at all, at 210mm and f4 with some additional cropping..

The colony of these guys at an electrical substation near White Rock Lake is growing quite a bit. These couple of shots were from a distance back due to security at the location and include additional cropping.

Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:57 AM   #3

Greg,

Those are impressive shots with the MC-14. Credit goes to the guy behind the camera!

Elliot
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:18 PM   #4

Thanks, Elliot.

I guess while I'm at it I can pass on what I have noted so far from an AF performance stand-point with the E-M1.

With the 40-150/2.8, both without and with the MC14, single AF is extremely fast. For 99% of what I like shooting, this is an awesome outfit.

Continuous AF with Tracking....well, it sucks, no way to candy-coat it. Does "ok" with the larger birds in flight until they hit a busy background like the blurry-tree backgrounds I was dealing with yesterday, where the box will wonder off the subject and jerk around the screen like it's caught a case of Parkinson's Desease. I would not doubt, at all, more dedicated "birders" than me have, or can work with the system and get better in-flight results than I was experiencing.

If you happen to make the "right" 9 AF box selection and keep the subject within that area, continuous AF actually does a pretty darn good job.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:52 PM   #5

Do you ever use continual AF on any of your lenses? Just curious, because I have never really used it and relied more on the S AF.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:31 PM   #6

Very rarely, even when I was doing thoroughbred racing just did a lot of fast refocusing using single AF.