Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,069
Default yet another new toy and beer :p

Well I splurged a bit more than I should have on myself this year but oh well I work hard or something like that

Picked up the new Rokinon 12mm f2.0 used for $250 with a CPL filter included.. arrived yesterday. Nice solid lens and reasonably sized, I'm hoping to use this for low light landscapes and astro.

Rokinon 12mm f2 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Rokinon 12mm f2 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Too damn cold out to do any astro tonight plus nearly a full moon so I settled for popping open the bottle of Belgian Kriek Lambic I had bought for last night but ended up not popping since the wife wanted champagne. For those unfamiliar with Belgian Lambics they're a bit closer IMHO to champagne then beer as they're bottle fermented using wild yeast of the area. They literally open the windows at the brewery and let the yeast float in to ferment, although they now believe the yeasts and bacteria (20 in total) mainly reside in the brewery fermentation barrels. Once the beer has undergone an initial fermentation in uncovered recycled port, sherry or wine barrels which can last years they may add fruit juice or sugars and re-bottle where a second fermentation produces the bubbles and the distinctive flavors. In the case of Kriek they add sour cherry juice, Framboise is one made with raspberries and there is also a peach variety. This type of brewing is becoming popular here in the US under the general name "sours" although likely using imported cultures as opposed to open air inoculation for obvious health code reasons. I recommend trying the Belgian varieties, particularly the Framboise before you venture into the US sours. This Framboise is more approachable being less tart where as the Kriek is really tart, sort of like a sour cherry-lime rickey. I've had the Framboise a few times but I first tried the Kriek last year in Aruba.

So yeah anyways enough beer talk here's a shot with the new lens in the dark kitchen under tungsten light with WB adjusted accordingly in LR. I note there is a bit of a flare on this shot from one of the overhead lights, totally my fault as I left the hood off the lens.

Kriek Lambic by ramcewan, on Flickr

and a shot taken with the 50-200 under same lighting

Kriek Lambic by ramcewan, on Flickr
__________________
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32

Last edited by ramcewan; Jan 1, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

Nice-looking little lens, Beer too.

I also picked up something manual, but a little more than just a lens. I actually bought myself a few rolls of Ilford HP5 black & white film. FILM, for probably the first time since 2004 so I can give this beauty a tryout..

I'll keep this Olympus-centric by saying I used the E-M1 and 40-150/2.8 to capture these..





Next week I have a 21mm f4.5 Zeiss Biogon Super wide coming to use with it too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Nice-looking little lens, Beer too.

I also picked up something manual, but a little more than just a lens. I actually bought myself a few rolls of Ilford HP5 black & white film. FILM, for probably the first time since 2004 so I can give this beauty a tryout..

I'll keep this Olympus-centric by saying I used the E-M1 and 40-150/2.8 to capture these..

...

Next week I have a 21mm f4.5 Zeiss Biogon Super wide coming to use with it too.
ooh that's a nice little toy you have there, especially the 50mm f2 sonnar. Is it the type with the outer bayonet? if so you can adapt those lenses to use on your EM-1 using an adapter like this amazon although I can understand wanting to keep it simple and stay with the film.

P.S. nice job on the gear shots, that's one thing I have to get better at, you have great detail and depth of field on those.
__________________
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

The Sonnar is an inner-mount lens. The 21mm f4.5 Biogon superwide coming in a few days is an outer-mount, but on my E-M1 it'd be a rather pedestrian semi-normal lens, and the rear element may be too deep anyway. Shot two rolls of black & white film this weekend, with more to come. That was fun. No meter, just guessed at the exposures. We'll see when I get the results back how well I did...

The camera and lens were just totally overhauled by this guy and looks and works like-new. Almost like I got in a way-back machine to 1952.

http://www.zeisscamera.com/services_sales_cameras.shtml

I saw it for sale on his site over Christmas and couldn't help myself.

Tripod mounted and f14. In that first image I focused on the front lens detail. In the second image I focused on the lens mount around the f8 setting on the depth of field scale.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The Sonnar is an inner-mount lens. The 21mm f4.5 Biogon superwide coming in a few days is an outer-mount, but on my E-M1 it'd be a rather pedestrian semi-normal lens, and the rear element may be too deep anyway. Shot two rolls of black & white film this weekend, with more to come. That was fun. No meter, just guessed at the exposures. We'll see when I get the results back how well I did...

The camera and lens were just totally overhauled by this guy and looks and works like-new. Almost like I got in a way-back machine to 1952.

http://www.zeisscamera.com/services_sales_cameras.shtml

I saw it for sale on his site over Christmas and couldn't help myself.
Cool site of nice stuff, I can understand how one might have trouble helping themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Tripod mounted and f14. In that first image I focused on the front lens detail. In the second image I focused on the lens mount around the f8 setting on the depth of field scale.
Thanks for the tips I will have to try some gear shots given the cold weather we're having lately keeping me inside for the most part.

I brought the new 12mm f2.0 with me to work this morning and took this shot using the E-PM2 by employing the pseudo focus peaking art mode and then processing the RAW file in LR. The lens has half stops on aperture and this was between f2.0 and f2.8 so I'm thinking something like 2.4? Anyways I cropped to 16:9 format.

I put the focus on the distant trees and when I pixel peep it looks pretty sharp all the way from foreground out to the trees.

Cold morning by ramcewan, on Flickrc


p.s. yes it was every bit as cold as this shot looks... I snapped it from the car with the window open, stopping as I pass this field on my way to work, sun is behind me just coming up.
__________________
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

Nice warm colors, even if I know there was nothing else warm about it

Looks like a nice performing lens to me.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:24 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
MarceloLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island - New York
Posts: 2,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Nice warm colors, even if I know there was nothing else warm about it

Looks like a nice performing lens to me.
I agree with Greg, nice lens and great price..!!
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 903
Default

So how are you getting along so far, say compared to the 14? I'm still considering this lens but it would probably replace the 14, as I don't see any reason for me (personally) to have a 12, 14, and 20 at the same time.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
So how are you getting along so far, say compared to the 14? I'm still considering this lens but it would probably replace the 14, as I don't see any reason for me (personally) to have a 12, 14, and 20 at the same time.
I've only taken a few shots with it so far, so I'm not sure completely where it fits in my lineup to be honest. It could certainly replace the 14mm f2.5, being faster and so far seemingly as sharp.

I remember considering selling off the 14mm when I got the 14-54mm and 9-18mm figuring I had the focal length more than covered, but since I bought the E-PM2 as a second camera I'm finding it getting lots of use there. I imagine if I had the 20mm f1.7 I might use that more, but I kind of have a soft spot for the 14mm f2.5. It was the first prime I bought and has taken some of my favorite shots ever* as such I just can't seem to let it go. It is in my opinion probably the most underrated lens for m43 in many ways because it was/is so widely available on eBay grey market at a hefty discount from GF3 kits that were parted out.

I really bought the 12mm f2 to enable astro photography which can't happen with any of my wide angles, so in those terms it probably doesn't compete directly with the 14mm.

If anything I could see myself adding a 10mm prime and dropping the 9-18mm and using a 10, 12, 14 prime setup for landscapes.

* some of my favorites taken with the 14mm;

Desert View Tower, Grand Canyon, AZ by ramcewan, on Flickr

Secret Canyon outside Page, AZ by ramcewan, on Flickr

Sunset Jetty by ramcewan, on Flickr

Aruba Sunrise Crop by ramcewan, on Flickr
__________________
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32

Last edited by ramcewan; Jan 9, 2015 at 1:40 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:03 PM.